• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Panic time

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
On my 62 I sure had a scare this AM.Went to pop the hood and the hood release handle did nothing but move in and out.OH NO I said.That is the polite expression.Looking through the hood scoop and neccesity is the mother of invention I now have a new tool.I had some wood cut offs 1 inch by 1/4. Using a piece about 4o inches long and taping a bent rod on the end I was able to pop the hood by going through the scoop.Lucky me.On inspection I couldn't find the clip that holds the bracket on the pin.Replaced that.Next job is to put the same emergency cable in as I have on the Lister.Then this will never happen again.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Chuck,
I don't have scoop so I have been thinking about an emergency cable. Can you share your design?

Thanks,

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck,
I don't have scoop so I have been thinking about an emergency cable. Can you share your design?

Thanks,

Rob this is as simple as it can get.I used bicycle cables.Actually any style of choke or similar cable will work.You need to remove the cable from the housing almost all the. Spray the cable well with white grease or something similar.The cable clamping bolt from the brakes is perfect.No drilling or you can use a small bolt with a hole drilled to match the cable size.I drilled a hole in the arm of the hood release mechanism about 1/2 inch from the pin.Attach the cable to the arm allowing an offset so the cable will sort of travel straight.It is possible to make a bolt that will swivel.I just never got that far but will for the 62.
Route the cable through the same hole as the rod or cable.Measure and cutallowing enough slack to be able to reach it.I like mine out of site.Now you need a handle.Since it is out of site I used a decent sized bolt.You really want a bit of weight here.You need to drill the bolt and thread the cable through.I used 2 nuts to tighten the cable secure.
I can almost say once you have accomplished this simple task you will never need to use it.
Every one can feel free to use this idea just like the pull slave cylinder.I'm only to happy to pass on anything that helps