• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

overdrive

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are they compatible and are there any disadvantages of putting a S1 overdrive in an S5?

It depends what you mean.

The SI will be a non syncro 1st box with coarse splines. The OD will be non-self canceling. The clutch fork and throwout will be different as will the flywheel and clutch.

You could swap a complete SI box and accesories into a SV.. but thats everything from the flywheel back.

You cant put the OD mainshaft and OD unit from a SI onto a SV box.. you either swap it all across or nothing. Also you will have a whine from the non sync 1st.. but given how low 1st is i dont think it matters.

Another thing is the tail shaft spline count will be different, you will need to get an early series shaft, or change the yoke to the early series shaft (depending if you have an OD shorter tailshaft this may mean modifyinf your existing one or getting a new one)

mikephillips

Donation Time
If you swap out the series 1 clutchfork and it's pedestal for the same series V parts you should be able to continue using the series V flywheel and clutch. Changing those parts makes up for the different throwout bearing and the different height of the early pressure plate assembly. The rest should be a straight forward swap, although you will probably need to use the series 1 method of wiring it rather than the series V.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
How are you going to put oil in it? The Series I trans goes in from the top.
You want some good advice? Don't do this, go get the correct trans. They are more plentiful, better and there's more parts available for the seriesV.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
jan,
where do you plan on finding an overdrive mainshaft for the fully syncro ???????

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
A tail shaft:confused:
OD unit tailshaft? I don't have any OD units for parts.
What happened to your's?
Jan

mrtoycrazy

Donation Time
Think I'll stick to finding a S5 overdrive.Theres a British motor car show at Berry College next weekend maybe I'll luck up and find one there. Is there an easy way to identify the proper overdrive?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The quickest way is to look at the date of casting, which is casted in the side of the trans case (65/66/67)
Another way is the reverse lockout spring on the the end of the shifter tower. The spring is on the left side of the tower.
Good luck
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
jan,
all of my overdrives are non syncro trans and i hate them . the nonsyncro make good boat anchors . i have not been able to find a shaft that would let us put an od in the 69 .