• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Solenoid Adgustment

8300LJ

Donation Time
I’m trying to get my overdrive working on my Series II so thought I would check the solenoid alignment as described in the workshop manual to check the holes align. I have attached a copy of the diagram in the manual and a photo of the solenoid lever on my car. You will see in my photo that there is not as much space for the lever to move as there is shown in the diagram. When the overdrive switch is off the lever is as far to the right of the control box as it can be and when the switch is on the arm is pulled to the left so that the holes are in alignment. Just wondered if anyone could confirm that this is correct.

I have also drain the gearbox and overdrive and have removed the filter to clean but have not yet re-filled the oil to test. Any other tips much appreciated.

upload_2018-8-8_21-13-3.jpeg
upload_2018-8-8_21-13-34.jpegupload_2018-8-8_21-13-3.jpeg upload_2018-8-8_21-13-34.jpeg upload_2018-8-8_21-13-3.jpeg upload_2018-8-8_21-13-34.jpeg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Whats the issue with the OD? Does the solenoid move..?
Have you tested the switch on the column, the relay on the firewall and the switch on the side of the remote shifter?

8300LJ

Donation Time
Yes the solenoid does move the leaver when the car is in 3rd or 4th gear and you use the switch on the steering column. It disengages if you move the gear selector over to 1st or second so I think my electrics are all good. My photo is with the switch on the steering column off and when switched on it pulls the lever to the left so it looks like the holes are aligned but it only has to move a few millimetres for this to happen. Just wondered if this was correct?

Have drained the oil and cleaned the filter in the overdrive and re-filled with fresh oil.

Any other tips you can give appreciated.