• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Relay Wiring

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I have a Series IV with OD non-synchro transmission, and the OD switch is just an off/on. I have since purchased a self cancelling OD switch. My question is: in order to use the self cancelling switch I have been told that I would have to rewire the relay. How would I do that? In other words, which wire goes where? All this is because I broke the phanolic (SP) (plactic) on the original, so I installed a regular on/off switch, but I want to go back to an original steering column switch. HELP. :confused:

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Jan,
Do you have a part number and/or a source for the self cancel relay? Could I still use the same harness as I have installed now?

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob,

The self cancelling relay is a different relay and these are very hard to find.

It is possible to use an open relay and a closed relay (I think) to make this work. Maybe someone can help here. If you can contact Cool Cat Eddie he could help with this.

The wiring harness is different.

Also on the switch up is on down is off.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Maybe I could modify the switch to remove the momentary configuation and make it a on/off switch. Just a thought. Maybe if someone out there would like to trade my self cancelling switch for a nice on/off switch. I have a on/off switch (like a dash switch) wired up now but I'd like one with the long stem. I have the on/off switch but with broken phanolic(sp?).

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I do not think you can modify to an off/on switch.

I think Rick at SS has a tech tip on the overdrive relay. You may want to look at that.

coolcat

Donation Time
Overdrive wiring

Hi Bob You can use two cheap headlight relays to replace the"special Lucas Relay" I will try to attach a diagram for you. If it does not cone through contact me edstiger AT toast dot net Ed
Sorry the e address should be edstiger AT email.toast.net