• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive not working

Alejo

Donation Time
So, as the tittle says, im having issues with my OD not working at all, im talking about a rapier fastback from 1976 not H120.

Having read the haynes workshop manual, it shows how to take appart the OD unit from the gearbox.

Question is... When I flick the lever, there is nothing, nothing changes, I think I can isolate the problem to three possible reasons.

1. OD lever is f*cked up and will have to search for a replacement.

2. OD relay is malfunctioning (which btw I THINK (And this is my speculation) its the same relay who transfers energy to the screen wipers, blinkers and horns).

3. OD solenoid is f*cked up and wont do anything at all...

Does anyone have a clue? Anyone with a rapier could tell me a spare for the relay? Its a Lucas 6RA 33199 (is it for the blinkers horns and screen wipers? For the OD? Im a little confused with that part)

Thx for the help guys

Asm109

Donation Time
You don't need parts yet. You need a voltmeter and a wiring diagram.

Start at the beginning of the circuit.

1. Do you have battery voltage across the battery terminals. Yes go to 2. No . Problem found!
2. Put volt meter on wire leaving OD lever and ground.
flip the switch.
do you have voltage? Yes go to 3. No. Problem found! replace switch
3. Go to relay. Flip OD switch, Hear any clicking? No. Verify there is voltage going to relay coil when switch flipped. Verify there is voltage on the power lead from battery. No. Problem found !
4. Remove lead from relay coil to ground and clean and tighten ground connections. Hear clicking noises now? No replace relay. Yes move on to solenoid on OD.
5 Flip switch and verify there is voltage at solenoid. Yes, but no clicking and motion. Replace solenoid.

Alejo

Donation Time
You don't need parts yet. You need a voltmeter and a wiring diagram.

Start at the beginning of the circuit.

1. Do you have battery voltage across the battery terminals. Yes go to 2. No . Problem found!
2. Put volt meter on wire leaving OD lever and ground.
flip the switch.
do you have voltage? Yes go to 3. No. Problem found! replace switch
3. Go to relay. Flip OD switch, Hear any clicking? No. Verify there is voltage going to relay coil when switch flipped. Verify there is voltage on the power lead from battery. No. Problem found !
4. Remove lead from relay coil to ground and clean and tighten ground connections. Hear clicking noises now? No replace relay. Yes move on to solenoid on OD.
5 Flip switch and verify there is voltage at solenoid. Yes, but no clicking and motion. Replace solenoid.
Ok, got it.

Appart from the overdrive, do you know if this relay also controlls Wipers and blinkers? im asking mostly because it seems to me that whe I touched it to clean it up a little, blinkers and wipers started working again. Idk

Asm109

Donation Time
Doubtful. A relay is just a switch that allows a low current device to control a high current one. If you want independent control of wipers and blinkers you need multiple relays. You probably have dirty high resistance grounds. Focus on those first.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The OD relay is a latching relay for the OD unit ..not anything else. There is separate electrics for the indicators and wipers