• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Issues - Engagement

Mark B

Donation Time
Hello all-

over the past few years, my overdrive became finicky, and would usually only start to work after everything warmed up, maybe 10 to 15 mins of driving. Before it warmed, hitting the OD stalk produced a dim light on the OD versus a bright light, and a decent draw on the Amp meter. After a few attempts, it would often begin to work well and not be an issue. A few attempts became, many attempts an longer drive times and now it basically won't function.

My initial thoughts were electrical, but after a lot of sleuthing, it seemed like that was not the issue. I swapped relays and solenoids etc.. to the same results. I adjusted the switches in the trans that prevent/allow engagement in the correct gears etc...to no avail.

I thought it might have something to do with oil viscosity so I changed the oil entirely and confirming it was at the proper type and level. Did not affect the OD.

So today on a drive, I was trying to figure it out, and noticed that it will engage easily and consistently at a dead stop. Both with the engine running and with the engine off. And by engage, I mean the OD light comes on strong, the voltage flicks and returns to normal, and you can both hear and feel the solenoid clunk as it moves.

I had been playing with odd theories about maybe it only engages when oil pressure is high, or low, or if I was in a sharp left turn, etc.. because it was so random when it would decide to engage. That is when I figured out it really loves to work perfectly when the car is stopped. Neutral or in gear with the clutch depressed seems to make no difference. I then began to see if it would engage at all at speed, and figured out it will consistently engage in both 3rd and 4th up until about 10-14 miles per hour, and then it reverts to the dim OD indicator light and no true function.

I have done some searches to see what I can find from this awesome community, but cannot quite find anything that would explain this. I do not know these DeLaycocks well enough to have much in the way of a theory as to what night be happening.

I am going to re-clean all the contacts and connectors, make sure the grounds are good, and try to start fresh with swapping components again to see what's going on, but also wanted to put this vexing situation out to this smart group of experienced folks and see what you all might suggest.

Sorry for the book, and many thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

Mark B

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have done some searches to see what I can find from this awesome community, but cannot quite find anything that would explain this. I do not know these DeLaycocks well enough to have much in the way of a theory as to what night be happening.

Mark,

I've a hunch most people with the experience to help with your issue went to the big meet in Kentucky. It might be a day or so before anyone can give a meaningful reply.

In the mean time, here is the page from the WSM 145 for "OD fault finding." Maybe if you've not seen this, it might point out something you haven't considered. In a recent topic on OD operation, someone pointed out the OD has a filter that needs to be cleaned as something most don't think about.

Link to OD/Gearbox section of WSM 145:

Hope this helps,

1694993867372.png

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have seen that the weakest link in the OD circuits is the OD Relay. See my reply #10 o this post:

Tom H

You might also do a search on the Subject: Overdrive by member Tom H (me)

Mark B

Donation Time
Thanks for the great info. The filter was not something I had considered and actually could possibly explain a reluctant engagement that declines over time as pressures drop. Tom, I am fortunate to have both a working original relay, and one of your kits, and have swapped the relay a few times to attempt to eliminate that as an issue. Appreciate all the good material to really give me a comprehensive understanding of the situation.

Again, thanks for the invaluable assistance....

Mark B