• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Outside the box

skywords

Donation Time
For those daring enough to peak inside the box. I disassembled the steering box and glad I did for the inner column had started to rust and the aluminum box itself was starting to pit where the assembly grease had mixed with dirt and layed on the bottom to do its dirty deed.

The grease is an assembly tool only. It's purpose is to hold the balls in place during assembly. I plan on washing it out after the inner column is in place and before installing the cover. After all the box is full of oil if well maintained.

I think a good service operation is to suck the oil out of the steering box and replace every few years of service.

The outer column to box shims are .004 in thickness and my assembly has 14 shims installed.

The cover shims are .007 1 each and .011 3 each.

It is necessary to clean the shims very well and straighten them on an flat anvil and using a very small hammer with very light blows, with every hit they stretch. They sometimes need straightening at the bolt holes where the threads have curled them. I used scotch brite to clean any corrosion off of them and assure there uniform thickness. Lay them flat on a table and lightly scuff them while holding them with your other hand. Remember if they bend they are finished. Unless you have spares you will be S.O.L.

The gaskets are .004 paper and can be made from an equal thickness paper using the shims as a guide for an xacto knife with a fresh blade.

Besure to Dye Check the box or use a 10X glass for crack inspection.

Tomorrow assembly. will post results.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Rick,

If you use oil in the steering box, you won't have to worry about sucking out the oil every five years. it will leak it out on it's own way before then. These steering boxes have a seal on the driven shaft, that goes away soon after you replace it. Since you are doing such a through job rebuilding it, I would suggest just packing it with white lithium grease, and you can forget about it for as long as you own the car.

Jose :)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
What I found is pitting is the races that support the steering shaft. Nothing can be done with that kind of damage and need to find another box.
I have the columns dipped because of the rust inside & outside. The shims are for preload on bearings, and it takes time assembling/disassembling to set them up correctly.
The early boxes have a seal, the later ones have just an O-ring that can be replaced and will stop the oil leaking.

skywords

Donation Time
Well the assembly went as smooth as silk. Got it on the first shot all 34 balls remained in place and the end play was perfect. The O-ring I ordered from SS for the steering box was way to big. The o-ring I removed was much smaller in diameter. I found a nitrile 14 from my standard o-ring kit was just the ticket.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, Are you putting together a newer than new Alpine ? What haven't you rebuilt....yet ? Are you bead blasting then painting or powder coating your parts ?

Tom J

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well the assembly went as smooth as silk. Got it on the first shot all 34 balls remained in place and the end play was perfect. The O-ring I ordered from SS for the steering box was way to big. The o-ring I removed was much smaller in diameter. I found a nitrile 14 from my standard o-ring kit was just the ticket.

I had the same problem recently. The o-ring from SS was way too big (it was in a little plastic bag properly labelled for the steering box) so I got another one locally off the shelf. I haven't got around to telling SS yet, maybe we should...
I went with the grease option. Feels smooth, but haven't road tested yet.

skywords

Donation Time
Dave
I will send a note to Rick at SS about o-rings. He is getting $2.95 US for a
20 cent o-ring. I think he should know.

Tom
I am trying to rebuild everything within my ability and maybe some I should not. I am going to pull the pumkin next and hope I find it does not need much.

Thanks for your kind words.