• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

original paint color on 1967 alpine V

cookyn

Donation Time
hello fellow sunbeam owners! i am having my engine rebuilt and the mechanic is wondering what color the engine was originally painted, hopefully with a code/number for the paint. thanks!
Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is reasonably close to the color it should be, with the exception of the valve cover which should be plain alloy.

DSCN2078.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If it was a replacement motor they were light green.:eek::D

Yeah, George, that's true. I think the light green was actually just primer and there was an expectation that the installer would paint the motor.

I've seen many motors that were stripped of their original paint and whilst doing so a green under-paint is discovered. In fact, the restored motor I pictured was that way... and it is definitely the original motor in my car (per the serial number) and not a replacement.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Puff, I just threw that in when I got my car in 1971 it had a green motor and there were no numbers stamped on it so I guess this was a replacment motor?:cool:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
With no numbers.. yes.. very likely. However, I thought even replacement motors had some sort of numbers. Hmm.

65beam

Donation Time
paint

replacement engines had nothing stamped on the vin number area. i have several of the engines that were built in iran and they have no numbers. i think that some earlier replacement engines had a small tag attached.

mattinoz

Donation Time
I have what I believe is an original, unmolested engine with matching numbers on a SV. The block is a bright blue colour.

Attachments

• Engine block colour.jpg
    Engine block colour.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 30

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Matt, the very late SV's had the Chrysler corporate blue blocks and the non spraking tube heads.

Yes, that's true. And being mattinoz's car was made within the last 3 months of production, it's likely he did indeed have a blue motor.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
1967 Chrysler logic: This car that was a Ford is now a Chrysler. That's a Chrysler engine! Paint it blue.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Yes, that's true. And being mattinoz's car was made within the last 3 months of production, it's likely he did indeed have a blue motor.
Ah but things are never quite what they seem. The blue engine is in fact in the the earlier car, 8133 which was built July '66. Not sure how that date lines up with the takeover however.
My later car, 17819, again matching numbers, has a boring black block.