• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

original 1960 alpine?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
And this was the guy who was going to publish a Sunbeam book featuring this very original car.....still waiting for it to happen. Eric

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Oh right! Now it all comes back to me - that was a number of years ago he came on the scene, offering to sell us his "book" on CD for what, $50 each or something? Maybe even more. I remember Mr. Scofield jumping all over him in his usual hilarious way.

Still, what an incredible car - it should be carefully documented with photographs and would be the standard for a perfect restoration.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
This is a unique car and I hope it finishes in the hands of someone who will preserve it and bring it to an Invasion one day.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
And this was the guy who was going to publish a Sunbeam book featuring this very original car.....still waiting for it to happen. Eric

Eric, If I remember correctly, he received more criticism than encouragement. With that kind of reception, I think you can wait a long while longer. Maybe Paul will be willing to step up to the plate and make it happen. For free, no less.

Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Would be super if an area member with a digital camera could swing by and take a few gig of photos:) . Can't be too many of these around anymore.

Allan

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Would be super if an area member with a digital camera could swing by and take a few gig of photos:) . Can't be too many of these around anymore.

Allan

That was the crux of the matter at the time - when the current owner bought the car he immediately told the seller not to allow anyone to come by and take photographs. He then announced this car on our board, asking for interested people to pony up money for this book he was going to publish documenting all the original items on the car.

It's all in communication, and the way he did it just rubbed a bunch of us the wrong way. Maybe now he's more open to allowing someone to come in and look the car over and take pictures - who knows. Bottom line is that it's a very unique original survivor and should be preserved by whomever ends up purchasing the car.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Scott... how many years have you and I been talking about making a book... So many ideas and so little time! :eek:

napa 1

Donation Time
Just a couple of observations: Looks like the hood latch catch/release is painted body color? Was that the way they came? Also it has horns like the series II, rather than the rounded top ones. Wonder when they switched horn styles.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
I had a very nice SII that had 15K miles on it and the bonnet latch was painted body color. I've also seen others that were this way too. Scott had seen this car. Also... there should be something in the parts manual showing when they changed to the Clear Hooter horns. I do believe late SI Alpines had Clear Hooters.

Jan and I looked at a very low mileage S1 once that was very late in production. I seem to recall it having clear hooters. That was one of those cars that got away. We made a deal on the car and whgen we went back to pick it up the lady wouldn't sell it to us anymore.

lgurley

Donation Time
towed to Ohio

Did the early models have a tow bar attachment below the front bumper as seen in the pictures?

alpine_64

Donation Time
QUOTED FROM THE AD:

"He began driving it less and less over the next year, and finally, around 1962, he stopped driving it altogether and just left it in the garage (his wife could not drive a stick shift.) In 1965, he took a better job at the University of Cincinnati. He wanted to sell the Alpine before they moved, but his wife wanted to keep it, since it was the first car they ever bought together. So, he attached a towing mechanism to the front and towed it to Cincinnati, where they stored it in their 2-car garage from 1965 until 2005.
"

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I can't remember, did they cut the front apron to mount the towing attachements? Or did they avoid the apron?

Steve

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Just a couple of observations: Looks like the hood latch catch/release is painted body color? Was that the way they came?

Looks like the attachment bolts and screws for the plate over the heater core were painted too.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
According to the seller this car is located in Georgia.

"So, he attached a towing mechanism to the front and towed it to Cincinnati, where they stored it in their 2-car garage from 1965 until 2005."

Must be a recent move for the car...

Any indication of what part of Georgia? Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi...

It sure would be nice to snap some pics, if the owner will permit it.

Allan

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Apparently it's in St. Simons which is down on the Georgia coast, near Savannah, a good 5 hour drive from Atlanta.

Anybody near enough to St. Simons?

Limey

Donation Time
You don't know how lucky you are....

How come no takers amongst the US fraternity? Its not a huge amount of money for such a rarity is it??.

I might even buy it myself and hoik it back to the motherland for study.

I know of a certain member:eek:: who's paid $175 for a petrol cap and $800 for a NOS SII grill in its Rootes box so whats $15000 for the whole sheebang to a fool like me, er him.

I can only think you are a bit spoiled for choice given the great climate in many part s of the US and and multi car ownership of America that has resulted in good low mileage cars being unremarkable.

Your so lucky, over here in Blighty it's either restored as best can be from rotten stock in the 90's or a pile of rust for parting out on ebay. We just don't have the 'Sunshine state' base stock nor what still is a compartively huge amount of NOS US spares stock.. but thank the Lord for ebay!

Our 'master of masters' Alpine concours winners, although very excelent by difficult UK standards (considering our weather beaten restoration stock and shortage of parts) would be out shone on the showgrounds in the US.:(

So when you see a NOS bit on ebay going for silly dollars, its not a mug but probably a desperate Brit with an eye on the exchange rate and knowing that there is no other place to get the bit he needs.

Pity us.

Flippin' Eck!

Limey

RootesRacer

Donation Time
How come no takers amongst the US fraternity? Its not a huge amount of money for such a rarity is it??.
Limey

Quite frankly becuase its condition doesnt make it look like a $15000 car.

It looks rather like cars we find that arent runners that can be picked up for a few thousand.

In any case, the alleged low mileage doesnt make the car look nice, it will still need all the normal refurbishing/restoration that a more traveled vehicle has.