• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

On this Memorial Day...

wipeout

Donation Time
I'd like to just mention my hero on this day...

You know what is so funny about mentioning him here....is that he, more than many you may know, have contributed to your passions. Funny how things go 'round and 'round.

He served in WWII in the south pacific. He was in a band of brothers known as Beach Jumpers. He was awarded the purple heart FOUR times and got an Admirals Commendation and his unit a Presidential Commendation for his subversive tactics in a multitude of island assaults.

Last year for his birthday I put together a coffee table magazine of his conquests and theatres of operation. He called me back and said that he appreciated the cards from his grandkids and it meant the world to him. As for the book? He said this..." I have buried in my mind and heart what I went through in those years. I have not mentioned nor wanted to remember the things that your book have brought out of the past into my memory. I hope that I will be able to put them all back before I die. "

This crushed me. After all, I researched his missions and even got in touch with some of his buddies...they were all to eager to talk of what they had done. They even formed a group of ex Beach Jumpers that meet annually and wanted desperately to have my Dad join them. But he, unlike this bunch doesn't want to go there.

Then it dawned on me that he never did tell of his time in that war. He never did mention his medals or honors. He just went on about his life doing what he was suppose to do. I'm so proud of him and those like him. I have many friends that can't go through the day about talking of their war experiences and what not. But my father only shakes his head.

Now, what's this about him contributing to your hobbies and love for Sunbeams.

My father, who has been retired for almost thirty years, was the West Coast Manager for British Leyland...or British Motor Car. After the war, he went to Oklahoma University, (drove an Austin Healey) and then after graduation got a job at BMCD. He became the West Coast Director of imports and parts management for them. My first job was a parts puller for that company.

When I told him, recently, that I was thinking of getting a Sunbeam he said.." I thought I raised you better than that. You're going to volunterialy buy Rootes and Lucas?" LOL... He said the news could have only been worse if it were a Jag or a TR3.

So, after talking to him tonight and after being out of the business he's going to call a "friend" that had a very extensive parts warehouse to keep an eye out for my "needs". That's my pop, always looking out for me.

:D

skywords

Donation Time
Your so lucky to still have your Dad. I lost mine a few years ago and like yours he never talked about his tour. I know mine did not have such a collection of medals but he did his part dealing with whirly birds in Korea.

009_009.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dealing with memories can be tricky business. Several years ago, I was talking to my father in law and for some reason, I mentioned the incredible energy stored as momentum. He then told of watching as a British battleship (King Edward?) cut through another ship during a trip on the Murmansk run. It had been extremely foggy, the fog lifted for a few seconds as the ship was sliced in two. Obviously an incredible experience, but after he related the story, he immediately apologised for telling war stories! I decided the best I could do was keep my ears open and my mouth shut.

Glory to them all.
Bill

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
If they would only Write it down!

One of my most treasured books is my grandfather’s biography. Back when the PC was just getting started he purchased a commodore 64 and as he would remember an event in his life he would type it on the old commodore. After his passing an Uncle put the stories in chronological order, printed off a copy for all of us and what an eye opener. He never served in the military but having the vocation of building roads all across America and being born in 1908 at a time when half breeds, (native Indian and white) were often discriminated against his stories are quite reflective. Going from a team of horses pulling a blade to level dirt to leaning to drive and use heavy equipment, and then use a computer to tell his story.
Now my Dad Mr. Coast Guard, 1956-1959 he has some tall tales of being in the Bermuda Triangle and also were the Titanic sank to his search and rescue in Alaska before it was a State. If I could only get my Dad to write it all down cause I can’t remember it all. I have noticed the tales over the last few years have changed some from what I heard & remember as a young child.
Heck my bio would be so boring seems I have not done anything exciting, to old now to serve my country and see the world :rolleyes: Donna sits at a desk and draws pretty pictures, drives an old Alpine occasionally, raised one child. Not even any scandals noteworthy for a good daytime soap!

Donna
:D