• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

On dash left-right directional switch.

65beam

Donation Time
That could be one of the reasons Tom went thru so many different blends of material before he found one that worked. This photo is one of the prototypes110_0579.JPG

loose_electron

Donation Time
I'm hoping I can make the self canceling feature on the Triumph switch work. If I can, my fame and fortune are assured. The rest of the adaption seems pretty straight forward.
Bill

That should be readily done, the two little cam latches are there and you just need to add a rotating element to catch on them. I put a turn signal buzzer on there, added left-right turn arrows to the dashboard and figured that would get it done.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I did not set it up to autocancel, you turn it off yourself. Otherwise it works quite well, and fits inside the cowl that surrounds the steering column.

You will have to fabricate a mount for it. I took a block of plastic and machined it to fit against the steering column, and made the cutouts and bolt holes to hold the switch. After that, I took a hose clamp , cut it in half opposite of the screw tightener, and mounted the two pieces to the plastic block. The assembly tightens to the steering column using the hose clamp. Sorry I don't have pictures.

Mine works reliably, and have not had to touch it since installing it last winter.
Jerry, gotcha about the hose clamp, but I thought I would screw it directly to the white cast metal body. I comes with two appropriately sized and located and tapped holes. But I do not understand the need for the machined plastic plastic block, unless it is to keep wires permanently dressed. Also, I see no reason the Alpine knock-off tang cannot be be bent a little and used as the knock-off with the new switch. Oh the reliability of steel parts! This should be pretty easy.

Thanks for the tip. Inexpensive and better than OEM!

Bill

loose_electron

Donation Time
Jerry, gotcha about the hose clamp, but I thought I would screw it directly to the white cast metal body. I comes with two appropriately sized and located and tapped holes. But I do not understand the need for the machined plastic plastic block, unless it is to keep wires permanently dressed. Also, I see no reason the Alpine knock-off tang cannot be be bent a little and used as the knock-off with the new switch. Oh the reliability of steel parts! This should be pretty easy.

Thanks for the tip. Inexpensive and better than OEM!

Bill

There are many different ways to set this up so it works. Sounds to me like you got a different approach that has promise too. Key thing is that the part is out there, cheap and new, it will fit inside the steering column cover. Please take pictures and show us how you did it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Several issues to address, this is going to take a few minutes. Good time to take a break. The Triumph unit is oh so close, but yet oh so far from the Alpine switch.

Bill

loose_electron

Donation Time
Several issues to address, this is going to take a few minutes. Good time to take a break. The Triumph unit is oh so close, but yet oh so far from the Alpine switch.

Bill
What problems are you running into? It worked for me. It's not a plug in replacement you do have to change out wiring connections, figure out how to mount, and all that.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The cancelling operation. At first I thought I could change the mount enough to get it to work. But no, I'm going to have to mod the mechanism. Sometimes, the cam latches jam against the Alpine cancelling tang as the switch is turned "ON". They need to be about an eighth of an inch longer and maybe slightly different profile. It is due to the fact the Triumph switch is designed to work on a much smaller diameter steering column.
Been busy with grandbabies the past couple of days, back to the Alpine problems today.
Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Series 1 & 2 steering columns are longer and smaller diameter than the adjustable columns used in later series cars.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
That explains it.

I have a Series 2 with the non extending column, and I did not try to get it to self cancel.
Well, this switch is being installed because the stocker will not self cancel. Today was pretty much a waste, no electric power for 6 or 7 hours. Just love ice storms. But right now, I'm just glad the house lights are on.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series 1 & 2 steering columns are longer and smaller diameter than the adjustable columns used in later series cars.
Bob, I've heard what you said for a long time.... "longer but smaller in dia...."

I can confirm the Series I & II's inner and outer columns are longer, by about 4 1/2". Going over several of the Series I & II's that I recently came in possession, I find the outer columns are the same. The inner (shafts) are the same except for the bulged (enlarged) section that houses the locking pin for the telescoping function. The steering wheels from later series bolt on as well.

What differences can you find? I'll keep looking,

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
There are reasons for companies like Moto Lita making two different hubs for after market steering wheels.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
What does the steering wheel hub spline have to do with the functioning of the turn signal switch?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, the only thing related to the function is perchance the location of the shroud and or the difference between the early and later.

Bill Blue is currently working on adaptation of a turn signal for the Alpine.....

I have never had a "good" return function on one of my Alpines. They seem to break or become weak as prior post indicate.

65beam

Donation Time
Barry,
The functioning of the turn signal switch is different between the early series and the later series. The later is a very simple unit. What fits and what doesn't? If you want a proper self cancelling switch for series 4 and 5 that fits the column surround you can't use an early switch. What about the power pickup for the horn, etc?
Dan,
I think you'll find the shaft for the adjustable column to be 3/4 and the early to be 5/8. Not much of a difference until your wheel wears the very fine 110_0582.JPG 110_0580.JPG 110_0581.JPG 110_0583.JPG 110_0584.JPG splines and the wheel starts spinning on the column. Odds are high of that happening under normal driving but what if?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Does anyone know how (or when) the Triumph TR6 switch actually cancels? I haven't a clue. About the only way I can see how to make this switch to work would require about 1/2 turn of the steering wheel and the cancellation would happen as the wheel is being turned into the turn, not as it is returning to center. Is that even close to how they operate?

BTW, got pictures, but cannot do anything with them. Just love opaque technology.

Bill