• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil pumped out onto road from SV

bohemianway

Donation Time
Oh the horror, I just finished changing all the coolant hoses and refilled system. Decided to take it out of the barn to make room for changing the oil on another car. So, I started it for the first time in three months. The temperature was about 35 F. After cranking for 20 seconds the engine fired right up. I looked at the oil pressure and it went up to over 60 psi (all seems well). So I backed it out onto the road and started to go to the house driveway when suddenly I noticed that the oil pressure dropped to zero! I shut it off and coasted back down to the barn and checked the oil. No oil! So I put in a couple of quarts to get it up on the dip stick. Restarted and oil pressure came back. Drove it up to the house and got the other car. Driving down to the barn I see two streaks of oil up the road. After changing oil on this car I went back up to the house and brought the Alpine back down. Everything was fine and there was no oil on the driveway where I parked it. Tomorrow I will check and see if it was pouring out from the oil filter otherwise I am at a loss. I hope I did not damage anything since I just put four new tires on it. Anyone else ever experience this?

Charlie

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I have not, personally.
I could speculate, though, that the 60 psi might have blown past the oil filter rubber gasket, especially if paired with an oil pressure relief valve that has decided not to relieve oil pressure.

Or the drain plug came out. Or an oil cooler hose failed. Or the filter is faulty.

To lose that much, that quickly almost has to point to the pressure side of things, rather than the reservoir.

agmason54

Donation Time
Oil leak horror

When I change my oil I always fire up the car and look for leaks.I had this happen to me once on aTR7.It pumped out two quarts lickitty split right before my eyes.
If it was OK before it has to be the oil filter or a loose fitting on the oil cooler lines.I always blow my lines out when changing oil on Svs.Do you do this and forget to tighten a fitting?Maybe a rodent chewed a hole in your oil line since you say your car is kept in a barn.It ought to be very easy to see...What I don't understand is why there are two oil trails.....
agm

bohemianway

Donation Time
Planning to look this AM

By the way, I did not change teh oil on the Alpine, it was another car. The Alp had about 2,000 miles on the current oil. I just started and drove, well, not really. There was a huge oil spot puddle on the floor that I thought was the steer box but turned out to be the clutch slave cylinder. It drained the entire system over the three months of sitting. I had rebuilt it about 500 miles ago and did not see any issues. but the piston seems to leak.

bohemianway

Donation Time
I will need to get kids out to run it

while I look. The pictures show that the oil base and filter are dry. All of the oil lines and cooler is dry. At this point I wonder if it is the oil pressure fitting or the plugs in the lower oil gallery (But why the dual streaks?). Also, I only put two quarts in it after the oil pressure went away and yet this morning it is at the full mark. I would guess that the oil system should work at -2 quarts unless the high viscousity from cold hangs it up in the block. Anyway I hope the pictures come through. Oops I need to reduce file sizes.

Charles

bohemianway

Donation Time
Pictures

Keep in mind that there is always oil driping from the pan rails "It's supposed to do that."

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 56
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Slide3.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Slide4.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 39

moonracer

Donation Time
Not to be a smart ass, but fill it with oil and have somebody start it with you looking under the hood. A leak like that should be pretty easy to find.

bohemianway

Donation Time
Nevermind, Anti-freeze not oil

It was late last night and early this AM so I assumed it was oil due to the loss of pressure. It turns out that when you drain the coolant it fills up the fron cross member with antifreeze so when you accelerate it pours it out on the pavement. The reason for the oil pressure loss was that in addition to the brakefluid on the floor from storage it had also leaked out about two quarts of real oil. It had enough for pressure at start but not enough under acceleration. Hopefully I did not wreck anything from the 100 yard dash with no oil pressure.

Am I bad,
Charlie

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Also...

Friends don't let friends use Fram filters.

Get one with an anti-drainback valve.

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
I believe that Fram filters have had the anti-drainback feature on their filters for quite some time now. The Fram ph-16 is a popular filter for Sunbeam Alpines.