• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil pump

JonPiz

Donation Time
The impellor on my Series 2 oil pump has completely shearing in half, now I know why it was taken off the road. Is the pump unique to the 1600 or is it easy to get one. Help!!

mikephillips

Donation Time
The series I - IV pump is unavailable new. I have seen rebuild kits sold from time to time, check with your UK suppliers to see if it's available and has the parts you need. If not the only option is to switch to the 1725 pump which means machining the block and altering the oil pan. It's been discussed before so you might find it doing a search of the website or JumpingJan can give you more details.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I bought a rebuild kit for my 1592 from Alpine West Midlands. That was 7 years ago, so I'm not sure if they're still available. You might also try Speedy Spares.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Given this issue, and its around the world maybe someone like rootes NL or SS could get some made.. the drawings will be in the UK archives... there is a market out there.. heck how many alpines/minx etc are probably running round with LOP because of this issue?

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Several years ago I had a bad oil pump in my series 2. I queried ole Rick at SS, he told me about an adaptation he had done with a later unit. I did the same you need the top part from a newer series, and the bottom from the old unit.
I cut the pipes on both to match to fit and connected the pipes with fuel hoses and stainless clamps. Worked well for several years then I converted to a later series engine.
BUT if the one from the UK is a good one the cost isn't bad either
You never know??;)
chuck

GTosel

Donation Time
Oil Pump 1725

Please note that the 1725 oil pump has a different number of teeth on the drive gear than the early 1592 oil pump. Therefore they will not interchange without using the proper gear. In addition the cable tach drive oil pump is different than the electronic tach drive oil pump. I found out the hard way by changing the 1592 gear on the 1725 oil pump and could not start the 1725 engine because every time I turned it over and looked under the distributor cap the No.1 rotor position changed. Lesson learned.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
oilpump

Please note that the 1725 oil pump has a different number of teeth on the drive gear than the early 1592 oil pump. Therefore they will not interchange without using the proper gear. In addition the cable tach drive oil pump is different than the electronic tach drive oil pump. I found out the hard way by changing the 1592 gear on the 1725 oil pump and could not start the 1725 engine because every time I turned it over and looked under the distributor cap the No.1 rotor position changed. Lesson learned.

You are correct, I did not tell all the changes I had to make. But I did convert the lower screen pick up assembly to fit the upper section and it ran like a top. That unit is in fact now somewhere in Texas in a Series 1 . Still running I believe.
C

ralphy75

Donation Time
Dear all,

I am facing the same problem! What should I do with my new 5 bearing engine, with 11 gear oil pump (adjusted the length to fit under series 2 dizzy/tacho) and probably 12 gear camshaft ( as dizzy rotor ends one hour further with every full turn.

mikephillips

Donation Time
the 1725 pump for the 5 main block is available new, you should be able to get it from any of our suppliers. And the cost isn't bad either.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
G'day Ralphy,
If you fit a Megajolt ignition system you can throw the distributor in the bin. :)
Here is a link to how I did mine http://alpine.forumup.com/viewtopic.php?t=3148&highlight=megajolt&mforum=alpine

The only problem for you then will be getting the oil pump to work,

Cheers Charlie

No, this is not the case.

The simple issues is that HIS cam has a different number of teeth than HIS oil pump, the distributor doesnt even come into play since the pump drives the distributor, not vice-versa.

Both gears will have been terminally damaged and the CORRECT parts will need to be used.

If I was to guess, he installed an early cam in the 1725 engine but the same issues would occur if he took a 1725 cam and tried to use an early pump gear as they changed #of teeth at the transition from 3 main to 5 main engines.