• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

oil pump and distributor shaft line up

BACKYARD

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a 67 series V , started losing oil pressure, when I first got it 1n 1/23 I got it running and had 40 lbs of pressure after a year of rebuilding , put it on the road and started small trips , it would run forty on the road and 25 lbs at idle , after 30 miles it dropped to 25 on the road and 0 at idle . I pulled the motor and found the oil pump pick up screen was plunged with gasket material [ no metal ] , I ordered a new pump but it would not line up with the distributor as the new pump slot that fits into the bottom of the distributor was cut straight and the distributor pin that goes through the shaft is off centered . I checked the old pump and the slot was also off center , my manual talks about timing the motor with the off set pin and slot . my parts supplier only has the straight cut pump and distributor , has any one else run into this ?IMG_1135.JPG

Last edited:

hdar5702

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would try removing the gears from your oil pumps and put your old pump gear onto the new pump.I'm sure someone on this forum would know if this is possible.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
The timing of the engine is set by the fitting being off centre. If you weren't able to set the distributor in relation to the rotation of the engine how could you ever get the ignition to fire at the right point of the cycle? It is extremely odd that your supplier only has oil pumps that are cut straight with the slot across the centre line. They sound like cheap pattern parts rather than genuine spares. Personally I wouldn't have been too worried about the low oil pressure showing when hot. You can run like that for many years without a problem. You can also easily make an adjustable pressure release valve to increase the oil pressure to compensate a little for wear and/or run a thicker grade engine oil.
Tim R

alpine_64

Donation Time
You can also easily make an adjustable pressure release valve to increase the oil pressure to compensate a little for wear and/or run a thicker grade engine oil.
Tim R
Tim .. I disagree with your advice about the adjustable OPRV. Upping pressure by the valve is a very bad false economy... You are masking the issue and potentially causing others.
Switching to a thicker oil would be better as it deals with the increase in tolerance in the clearances rather than just over pressuring to get a standard pressure reading.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
If I understand the function of the OPRV correctly, if the pressure exceeds the spring pressure, it will dump oil directly back into the pan. Increasing the spring pressure will cause an oil pressure increase, but also send more oil through the engine. As long as you don't overdo it and render the OPRV inoperative, I can't see how this is a bad thing.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
In all my years of following this forum, I have never seen a case where the drive dog on the oil pump shaft was not offset. lots of issues of how align the slot angle and cases where the poster did not recognize the offset. Where did you get the oil pump? I would try to find another supplier. It might be possible to swap the drive dog/gear from the old pump, but it's not easy to remove the pin that holds it to the shaft. Decades ago, (when I as young) I bent the shaft trying to hammer the pin out

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Alpine_64, I don't disagree with you, increasing the oil pressure with an adjustable PRV IS just masking a problem, not curing it.
Oil pressure will only be correctly re-instated if the engine is fully rebuilt, mains ground etc etc. BUT this is often not practicable or just seen as too expensive.
An adjustable PRV to increase the oil pressure has been standard advice in the U.K. ever since the first Alpine Guide was published back in 1978 and is something that a huge number of Alpine owners have done. The engine can run like this for many thousands of miles.
Another thing to consider, bearing in mind that the engine has been rebuilt is that the gauge might just be reading incorrectly and showing oil pressure lower than it actually is.
Tim R

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a 67 series V , started losing oil pressure, when I first got it 1n 1/23 I got it running and had 40 lbs of pressure after a year of rebuilding , put it on the road and started small trips , it would run forty on the road and 25 lbs at idle , after 30 miles it dropped to 25 on the road and 0 at idle . I pulled the motor and found the oil pump pick up screen was plunged with gasket material [ no metal ] , I ordered a new pump but it would not line up with the distributor as the new pump slot that fits into the bottom of the distributor was cut straight and the distributor pin that goes through the shaft is off centered . I checked the old pump and the slot was also off center , my manual talks about timing the motor with the off set pin and slot . my parts supplier only has the straight cut pump and distributor , has any one else run into this ?View attachment 31695
A piece of good advice that was pushed on me that I appreciated: Do you have an Oil Cooler installed?