• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Pressure Sender?

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is this the oil pressure sender? It connects to the bottom LH of the block and I believe it's leaking a bit. I still haven't been able to make time to get her on the lift to verify but has anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• 20170513_131313-637x358.jpg
    20170513_131313-637x358.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 49

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Is this the oil pressure sender? It connects to the bottom LH of the block and I believe it's leaking a bit. I still haven't been able to make time to get her on the lift to verify but has anyone else had this issue?

So what engine are we talking about ? its obviously not a Rootes product.:confused:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
2.8 V6 Cologne Engine... oil connection for sender is as you stated bottom left near the manual fuel pump location. Looks like it.

You can use either a 90 or 45 degree elbow and run a pressure line up to the Alpine oil gauge and by pass that thing

Here is what I did to get an emergency cutoff.

Does this answer your question?

Attachments

• 20160611_162600 (1) (338x450).jpg
    20160611_162600 (1) (338x450).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 41

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Possibly. This engine is brand new to me so pardon my ignorance. The line at the very bottom of you picture, is that the one coming from the sender up top? Did you add everything else? And is that a valve on the left side of the T?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
DaisyPusher, The line at the very bottom is running up to the stock Alpine Oil gauge.

The pressure switch immediately above that connection is for the emergency cutoff. You don't "need" that to function, only an option I elected.

DanR

P.S. I must add that the switch you display is an electrical sending unit and my comments refer to the "pressure" type switch.

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, if you look at photos on his earlier posts you'll see that he has a whole custom dash with all non-original gauges, so I assume this sender is designed to work with the gauge installed.

Tom

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom, you are correct.... A whole different dash! I went back to the POST where Matt shows his car. Nice looking gauges (and Electric).

Daisypusher could still perhaps check the fittings below the sender to make sure they are tight/secure.

DanR

Last edited:

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
My apologies

My apologies, gentlemen. Me having a custom dash and gauges would have been handy information as well. It looks like there's a little leak running down the line but due to tight quarters I haven't been able to attempt to tighten it. As luck would have it, my father dropped off a set of adjustable ramps as I wrote this so I may be able to check it out from below. Will update soon. Thank you for the information!

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sitting overnight

This is how it looks after sitting overnight. The result is usually a shallow puddle with the diameter of a golfball

Attachments

• 20170514_113005-637x358.jpg
    20170514_113005-637x358.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 27

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Went back and looked at your prior POST.... I believe the reason you have the leak is due to the rubber biscuits collapsing.

DanR

Last edited:

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
So you think the engine is jostling around too much? I see the bottom mounting washer you mentioned before. When you mentioned cutting and welding the new brackets I thought I'd have to cut the old ones out but now I see they're bolted in. Huge sigh of relief for now. Does the biscuit bolt thread into the crossmember or is there a nut inside? Does anything else need to be removed to lift the engine? And what would be a safe lifting point?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The jose washer is welded onto the crossmember. A nut is welded under the bottom of the washer. A bolt runs through the top engine mount piece into two piece rubber biscuits, one a bit small than the other. The bolt then screws into the washer that is welded on the crossmember. I should say that is the normal way jose parts are connected.

I believe after you explained the rubber collapsed and the leak at the oil sender, the movement of the engine is the main/major cause.

The engine is probably the best raised utilizing a piece of 2x6x6 inch wood and a good floor jack under the flat area of the oil pan.

Make sure the two engine bolts that screw into the washers (with the nuts) on the crossmember are removed.

Carefully raising the engine, watching for any other part such as the headers; Distributor cap especially have clearance.

Keep us posted as you continue,

DanR

Last edited:

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm not 100% certain but it doesn't look like the washers or nuts are welded. That explains why I couldn't tighten the RH bolt. Dan, is welding your brackets in necessary or can it be a direct bolt-on replacement?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Matt, Here are two PIC's from where I was installing the jose kit I bought "before" I designed my own components.

One is showing the jose washer with the nut afixed to the underside. The other is showing how it is supposed to fit in a hole prepared by the installer, placed in position and then welded....

Special Note: the holes in my crossmember are about 2-2 1/2" farther toward the front on my crossmember because I did not use the jose engine mounts that came in the kit.... I was not at all happy having them sit on the back edge of the crossmember.

I designed a mount that "looked" a lot like jose's that I refer to as "Big-Foot" because it had a larger base in which to fasten the engine.

Send me an E-mail for additional pictures.

Attachments

• DSC02845 (640x360) (450x253).jpg
    DSC02845 (640x360) (450x253).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02847 (640x360) (450x253).jpg
    DSC02847 (640x360) (450x253).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 22

DaisyPusher

Diamond Level Sponsor
Engine Mount Nuts

The first one looks like it's newer. Maybe a replacement because it rounded out the area? That must explain why I couldn't tighten the right bolt down. Either way, I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger on new brackets or just get new biscuits. I'd like the peace of mind with new hardware. How labor-intensive is the installation?

Attachments

• 20170514_185405-358x637.jpg
    20170514_185405-358x637.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170514_185000-637x358.jpg
    20170514_185000-637x358.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 16

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You will have to raise your engine to replace the currently collapsed biscuits, so, remove your upper engine mount (two bolts) one side at a time. Place the bottom piece on the cross member (over the washer) with the Anchor 2424 rubber biscuit bottom stud fastened to the new bottom piece, thread the Anchor 2424 upper stud into the "new" upper engine mount piece, bolt the "new" top mount piece in place (two bolts).

Ease the engine back down until the "new" bottom engine mount pieces touch the cross member. Align them so that they fit snug to the cross member, check side clearance for the headers. If satisfied with adequate clearance "tack" weld in positions indicated in the PIC's I sent you earlier.

Remove the nut holding the upper Anchor 2424 to the upper engine mount and it's two bolts from the engine. Complete the weld along the edges mated to the cross member. Do both sides. Bolt the pieces back in place as you sit the engine in position....

I said all that to say it is a simple process easily accomplished. Only difficult problem my be if the jose washers are protruding "off" the rear of the cross member, then simply grind or cut them off even with the cross member.