• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil dipstick tube for 2.8?

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I've exhasted all my search engines looking for a 2.8 dipstick tube. I have the stick, but not the tube. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sam

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I've exhasted all my search engines looking for a 2.8 dipstick tube. I have the stick, but not the tube. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sam
Hi Sam,

Two word answer. Wrecking yard.

Jose:)

P.S. Make sure it is for the Ranger/Bronco II.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Sam,

Two word answer. Wrecking yard.

Jose

P.S. Make sure it is for the Ranger/Bronco II.

Great. We've only had about six inches of rain this week and it's mosquito season. Time to don the high boots and load pockets with Deep Woods.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Found one off a Taurus that fits perfectly.
Sam,

To make sure that it measures correctly, you need to use the dip stick that goes with it. The tubes might not be the same length, and if you use the ranger dip stick, it might measure wrong.

Jose:)

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Actually, I found two dipsticks. The Ranger one is about 1.5" longer and the add/full marks are correspondingly further down. What should I be reading at a point about level with the bottom of the oil pump screen (I ordered the Melling hv pump to replace the oem one that came with the rebuilt long block, and I found the right screen and drive spindle locally--it all seems to fit!)? Add, I assume. Everything seems to fit right with the Ranger oil pan I found. Now if my camshaft and timing cover and water pump get here soon I can reassemble the bottom half of the engine.

The tube fits into the block fine, but there are no screw threads; both the hole in the block and the bottom of the tube are smooth. Reckon some aluminum epoxy will hold it or should I try to spot weld?

I am proud of myself today. The flywheel I bought from Jim Ellis was missing one of the dowels and collars (not Jim's fault, btw), and I couldn't find the metric sizes anywhere in town. After some measuring, I threaded the dowel hole and inserted an M8 helicoil. Then I took a stepdown M8 to M6 bolt, cut it off to the right length, and filed a bit on the M6 threads so that my jury-rigged dowel fit perfectly into the clutch cover. I believe he said that he had to spend some money to get a machine shop to make just one dowel and collar for him. With three dowels and all of those M8 bolts, it all seems secure.

Jose, what kind of pilot bearing should I look for? It's a Mustang II clutch and plate and a Mustang II bellhousing with the internal fork.

Jim's slave cylinder bracket also arrived. Very nice! I look forward to solving the mystery of hooking it up.

Slowly but surely, the madness continues.

Sam