• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Cooler Drain.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I have never been happy about dirty oil being held in the oil cooler and lines. I decided to drill and tap the right side 90 degree fitting and install a plug. See the attached pictures of the drain plug and how much dirty oil is held in the cooler and hoses - I'd say about a quart.

Mike

Attachments

• 20210502_123210.jpg
    20210502_123210.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210502_123231.jpg
    20210502_123231.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 46

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I have never been happy about dirty oil being held in the oil cooler and lines. I decided to drill and tap the right side 90 degree fitting and install a plug. See the attached pictures of the drain plug and how much dirty oil is held in the cooler and hoses - I'd say about a quart.

Mike
I would think you would need to loosen both hoses at the cooler block to get all the oil out, did you?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I did not loosen the hoses at the filter block. I suppose there could be some oil hiding in there. Have you tried it to see how much comes out? It's a fairly short length of hose up-hill from the block to where I routed the hoses through the horn opening. It probably can't hold much.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm trying to remember the routing inside that block. I did have the filter off while the plug was out. Maybe that breaks the vacuum.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Given the oil cooler has been emptied, do you have any concerns with the initial engine start post oil change, oil flowing to fill the oil cooler and delaying the oil flowing to where it needs to be?

Mike

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Flow Path

pump > cooler inlet hose > cooler > return hose > cooler block into filter > filter to block main gallery

Removing oil filter will break vacuum in cooler return hose

Breaking vacuum in the cooler inlet hose will probably depend on how effective a seal is formed by the cooler bypass valve or if the sump is drained and how tight the oil pump is to air flow. I think the V-break at the BP valve most likely and would hope the oil on pump side of that point could back flow through the pump to drain.

Hope this helps,

upload_2021-5-7_1-13-18.png

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike - A little bit concerned. Normal start-up I'm seeing pressure in 1 or 2 seconds. With new filter and drained cooler, maybe 5 seconds or so (I didn't time it). Keep the initial rpm low, I would imagine there is enough oil film to protect stuff for that short time. I hope so anyway.

Thanks Don - that helps.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The MK2 Tiger's have a similar fitting to drain the double row yet similar cooler. If your majority of trips are short you probably do more harm then good running your car with a cooler and not allowing the temperature to get up where it's supposed to be. Yeah I know that's the job of the thermostat but I'm just saying I can literally see when mine starts to open.
Anyway you slice it you have to push the oil through the lines and the filter. I always hand fill the filter as much as I can so there's very small time that it is cranking with low or no oil pressure.