• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OD Mainshaft

lemansvk

Donation Time
Hi all,

I have a local (Canberra, Australia) friend (not in the forum for technical reasons) who is looking for an all synchro overdrive mainshaft with coarse splines to fit a D type overdrive. If anyone has one or knows of a potential source please let me know

Thanks, Vic

alpine_64

Donation Time
Vic,

You might try Bruce Rudland i believe he is in taralgon Victoria now, the other option is john needham who will make a mainshaft for you by slicing an non sync OD shaft with a full sync shaft.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Vic,

You might try Bruce Rudland i believe he is in taralgon Victoria now, the other option is john needham who will make a mainshaft for you by slicing an non sync OD shaft with a full sync shaft.

I'd be very interested in how this is done!

I have an early non-sync OD trans that ate its input shaft rollers, which buggered the main shaft input journal, as well as the input shaft internal journal.

It would be hellanice to one day make a working OD from this pile of rubble.

lemansvk

Donation Time
Vic,

Thanks Michael,

Should hae thought of that myself, I'll send him Bruce's email so he can try. He also tells me that he has heard of those spliced shafts but is unconvinced of their long term viability.

Cheers, Vic

alpine_64

Donation Time
Vic,

I had the same concerns, but there are guys here runnign stroker motors with them and no issues yet

lemansvk

Donation Time
Michael,

I'll pass that info on - my friend is running one of Simon's 2.1 litre engines (in a Rapier) and the capacity of the shaft to cope with the torque and the weight was his main concern.

Maybe if he could speak to someone who has done this it would help.

Thanks again, Vic