• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OD gearbox removal

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I have done it. But it's close. Probably need to loosen the engine mounts. Good idea to disconnect the both radiator hoses. Put a block of 1" or so wood between the rear of the valve cover and the firewall. I think I needed to push the engine forward about an inch to get the tailshaft to clear.

Tom

pruyter

Donation Time
I have done it by only using the block of wood as Tom mentions above, no loosening of the engine mounts were needed and no disconnecting of the radiator hoses either. So pushing the engine forwards was also not needed.

Regards,

Peter

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
You can take either engine only or gearbox /O.D. only out of an Alpine but personally I find it much easier to take the whole thing out as one long lump. Then I do whatever is required, mate everything up on the driveway then drop it back in. I find this much easier than trying to line everything up when I'm lying on my back under the car!

Tim R

P1130551.jpgP1020428.jpgP1070959.jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, it can be done either way.

Those engine and tranny pictures you posted Raymond are very nice!

I really like the first PIC, it as all of the proper tools and equipment to safely hoist the engine and Transmission into and out of the Alpine.

DO NOT RECOMMEND utilizing rope as pictured for such an undertaking!

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Todd, As far as I am aware that is a standard part. All of our engines have it (it is in the bottom picture too). It sits over the slave cylinder and seals to the bell housing. I don't think that it is really necessary though! The car will run perfectly fine without it and getting it on and off can be a pain.

Tim R

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tim, I noticed that you do not have a starter dust shield on any of the bellhousing pictured?

Here are a few PIC's of the Shields I have been making for the Alpines.

I have them available to sell for $25 and you use your Spring.Alpine Starter Dust Shield by DanR  20160409_193913.jpg Alpine Starter Dust Shield by DanR 94020.jpg

Attachments

• Blue Boy Starter dust DSC01206.JPG
    Blue Boy Starter dust DSC01206.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Blue Boy dust shield DSC01204.JPG
    Blue Boy dust shield DSC01204.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 13

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes, I have done it. But it's close. Probably need to loosen the engine mounts. Good idea to disconnect the both radiator hoses. Put a block of 1" or so wood between the rear of the valve cover and the firewall. I think I needed to push the engine forward about an inch to get the tailshaft to clear.

Tom

OK thanks, whilst I have done a few non OD trans remove/refits with the engine in situ, it just appears to me that the extra length of the OD appears to go way back into the subframe x member, so removing the front engine mounts would be a must to get enough forward travel; hence also the radiator out would be a must.

It then probably makes more sense, having gone this far, to take the whole lot out as one.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK thanks, whilst I have done a few non OD trans remove/refits with the engine in situ, it just appears to me that the extra length of the OD appears to go way back into the subframe x member, so removing the front engine mounts would be a must to get enough forward travel; hence also the radiator out would be a must.

It then probably makes more sense, having gone this far, to take the whole lot out as one.

beamdream,

WSM 124 section E page 20

SI and SII have a different design for the "X" member which wont allow the gearbox and OD to be removed separately from the engine.

All three units need to be removed together.

Hope this helps.

upload_2018-11-14_21-11-21.png

pruyter

Donation Time
And again: I have done this several times without any problems: no need to push the engine forwards just a block of wood and that's all. To be honest I used a professional ramp as used in garages, so I did not need to lay on my back under the car.

Regards,

Peter

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Peter, are you saying you have doe this with an OD transmission AND on an early Series ? .

I have installed an OD tranny on a SV, and the tailsfhaft barely cleared after pushing the engine forward about a 1/2 inch. Done without removing the hoses, or loosening the mounts, but I felt at the time it would have been better to have removed the hoses.

Tom

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi Tom,

I did this with an Alpine series IV and with a gearbox/overdrive from an Alpine series V which I installed in the Alpine of my brother. I did this about a year ago. Before that (many years ago) I installed in the same way a gearbox/overdrive of a series I in his Alpine and again with the same procedure. To be clear: at the backside the engine was hanging down quite a lot with a piece of wood between the valve cover and the firewall.
So I really don't understand why others could not accomplish this in the same way...

Regards,

Peter

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Rest assured folks the WSM reference is correct.

There is no way on this Series 11 that the gearbox will come out on its own, the rear housing goes way too deep into the floor x member for it to drop down and be angled out; hence it had to come out with the engine.

pruyter

Donation Time
Then there must be a difference between the floor of a series II and a series IV, because I have done this job about 5 or 6 times whithout moving the engine at all.

Regards,

Peter

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Then there must be a difference between the floor of a series II and a series IV, because I have done this job about 5 or 6 times whithout moving the engine at all.

Regards,

Peter

Did you read the post by husky drvr and WSM reference ?