• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

No electricity

Robbo

Donation Time
So after weeks of enjoyable driving, I decided to replace my clutch line that was crimped a little. When replacing it from below, I hit some electric feed and sparked up pretty good. Sadly, I don't know what the new clutch line came in contact with, but now when I turn my ignition key, I have nothing. Not even an electric feed to the fuse box or accessory electrical items. Nada. Do you suppose I could damaged the starter solenoid causing an issue. My fuses are fine and I checked all connections in the even I nocked something loose. It's midnight here and I've been at it long enough. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks in advance.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Robbo, I don't think you could have done a whole of harm. About the only thing that could have happened was you shorted the wire from the battery to the solenoid. Shorting that wire cannot hurt the solenoid.

Since you have checked the "wiring", how checking checking the "non wiring", i.e., the battery grounding circuit. You may have had an iffy ground connection that popped (or oxidized) under the extra load.

Bill

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
If you have an ammeter, check it for continuity. I shorted a wire from the alternator several years back and the link inside melted and I lost all power. Fortunately, I saw the smoke and found it quickly.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Greg's thoughts sem pretty resonable. It should be pretty simple to find where the problem lies, Even without a voltmeter, just using a test lamp, you should be able to find where the voltage ends! First start at the battery, testing from post to post (one end of tester on each battery post) . If OK , then test from chassis to + terminal , if OK, then the battery connections are good. Next test from chassis to Battery post on the solenoid. If OK, then test from chassis to Term 1 ( brown wires) on fuse holder. If dead then it looks like the ammeter is open.

Tom

Robbo

Donation Time
Fresh day makes a difference (rather than up to midnight!). I used my multimeter to check the circuits and continuity and the hot sides were all good. Moved to the ground circuit and Bill nailed it - oxidized ground all the way back at the battery box! I wouldn't have thought of that, but she's back to life - another problem solved with the collective wisdom of SAOCA!

Thanks gang...off to do some motoring!!