• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Nissan in Alpine

bashby

Donation Time
New clutch (Clutchmasters FX300) is installed and functional. Should have the 4-link under the rear by month-end.

bashby

Donation Time
Work on the 4-link is proressing well and have the front coilovers figured out too. The 4-link and coil overs should be done by 10/22 and the front coil overs by Christmas (work permitting). Need to figure out the heater water return path so that I can get it plumbed, it gets a mite chilly even with seat heaters. Have 4,700 miles on the motor and 700 with the new clutch, the car is running great! and the colder the better:D Need to finish with the door and window gaskets and install the side windows too. Re-ran the dyno pull and 242 RWHP is a nice number on the Alpine :)

AutoX47

Donation Time
That's too wild! And at your elevation, too. Beautiful build so far
icon14.gif

Work on the 4-link is proressing well and have the front coilovers figured out too. The 4-link and coil overs should be done by 10/22 and the front coil overs by Christmas (work permitting). Need to figure out the heater water return path so that I can get it plumbed, it gets a mite chilly even with seat heaters. Have 4,700 miles on the motor and 700 with the new clutch, the car is running great! and the colder the better:D Need to finish with the door and window gaskets and install the side windows too. Re-ran the dyno pull and 242 RWHP is a nice number on the Alpine :)

bashby

Donation Time
Andrew, Thanks it is coming along nicely.
Warren, attached is a photo of the fuel tank before final installation and spare tire carrier installed.
The aluminum tank holds 16 US gallons, the sump, Walbro 225 fuel pump and pre-filter reside in the spare tire well.

tigretr

Donation Time
Bashby,
Browsing the last two pages of info here I couldn't help but notice the vastly different horsepower numbers you got from two different dyno's (28rwhp). This makes me want to run off to a different dyno. Not that the horsepower number makes that much of a difference, but when I had my car tuned and dyno'd they warned me that their dyno had a history of producing very low numbers. I kind of figured it was just a pitch to quiet the avid car enthusiast who wished he had 800 hp from his 1.8 liter Audi and the dyno only showed 200hp. Turns out, maybe they were just flat telling me the facts. Regardless, I might run out and get a second opinion just for the hell of it once I get my car back together.

Keep us posted on your progress. I has been interesting to say the least. Very impressive HP numbers coming from your motor. I am glad round 2 is working out much better for you. How high are you planning on going with the boost?

Brian

bashby

Donation Time
Brian,
The guys that tuned the motor are NASA (not the space guys) certifiers and their dyno is very repeatable. Dyno's numbers will vary by manufacturer and operator. I am running all of the boost (1-bar or 14.7 psi) that I intend to, this motor is making more power than I expected to achieve using pump fuel; if I were to "turn it up" more I would need to go to race fuel or E85. I want the motor to last, be drivable and have fuel readily available.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Bashby,
Browsing the last two pages of info here I couldn't help but notice the vastly different horsepower numbers you got from two different dyno's (28rwhp). This makes me want to run off to a different dyno. Not that the horsepower number makes that much of a difference, but when I had my car tuned and dyno'd they warned me that their dyno had a history of producing very low numbers. I kind of figured it was just a pitch to quiet the avid car enthusiast who wished he had 800 hp from his 1.8 liter Audi and the dyno only showed 200hp. Turns out, maybe they were just flat telling me the facts. Regardless, I might run out and get a second opinion just for the hell of it once I get my car back together.

Keep us posted on your progress. I has been interesting to say the least. Very impressive HP numbers coming from your motor. I am glad round 2 is working out much better for you. How high are you planning on going with the boost?

Brian

Any time you take the power from the wheels when doing a dyno measurement, there are tweak factors and phase of the moon estimates that impact the result.
The reason that the different dynos make different numbers relates to the extent that they make the magic adjustments and certain types of dynos are considered more desirable for making "big" numbers.

You always want to tune and have baseline numbers on a single dyno.
The 034 dyno reads low compared other brands. The why relates to tire traction and losses and the quality of instrumentation as well as compensation algorithms.

tigretr

Donation Time
Jarrid,
Yah, the 034 guys are great and I am thrilled with their services. Having them tune their own (or yours) ECU was absolutely the way to go. I am just curious what another dyno would tell me. I have been keeping my eyes out for a dyno day with the Shelby Club here in the bay area. Would be fun.

Bottom line is, after a drive I have perma grin for at least an hour. I am very happy with my motor!

Bashby, I am with you on the longevity thing. I don't have the time, money, or want to do this again.

Brian

bashby

Donation Time
Triangulated 4-link is installed, no binding but negated ~3/4" in suspension compressability. It is a good start! :). Additionally, re-routed the dual exhausts under the axle as there are space constraints and re-routing the rear flexible brake line. Will post photos when I return from travel.

bashby

Donation Time
I have yet to drive (need to replace the rear brake flexline) but, attached are photos of the triangulated 4-link.

Attachments

• IMG_4999_s.jpg
    IMG_4999_s.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_5018s.jpg
    IMG_5018s.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5009s.jpg
    IMG_5009s.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 157

whoizrob

Donation Time
Nice Work!

How are the shock mounted up top? Is the lost 3/4" due to the upper arms hitting the body? I wonder what would happen if you mounted the top arms a bit lower, like more toward the front of the axle instead of directly on top. Are the lower arms mounted to the original leaf springs attachment points? Thanks!

Rob

PS which rear end are you running?

bashby

Donation Time
Rear end is a Ford 8", 3/4" loss is due to the upper arms hitting the floor pan (rear shelf). The upper shock mounts are OEM as I used the QA1 pin/stud conversion. The lower arms are attached to the front leaf spring mounts.

AutoX47

Donation Time
Bashby, just ... wow
icon14.gif

You even have v-bands/clamps on the exhaust. You've essentially seemingly accomplished everything I would have wanted to do with a modified Alpine and it all appears to be done in the most proper way. Very cool!

Lets see some in-car videos :D

bashby

Donation Time
Thank you :) it has been an insane labor of love. Need to get the side windows and door seals installed, figure out the heater return and get the amplifier working. Will post videos once the weather improves (expecting snow this weekend) and need to figure out the "new and improved" Webshots site.

bashby

Donation Time
I have adjusted the coil overs so that she sits level and measure 22.5" to the center of the rear arch (shod with 205/50-15's). Even with new leaf springs this was something that eluded me. As soon as the weather cooperates I will take her out for a drive! Then on to figuring out how to modify the rear bump stop and front suspension to install the coil overs.

bashby

Donation Time
Well, it drives very well! I need to put some silicone grease on some bushings as they squeak but no issues :)
I took Rich V. and Kevin T. for a short ride today too :D
Running and driving well!
Now on to the front suspension, windows, door and window seals!