• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New top installed

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
A real bear of a job, so I commend you. But you picked the right time of year!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Looking great...
Interesting wheels on the car.. Are they VTO.. What width on the rear... They are sitting out at bodlyline ( square tracked) but not with a deep rim.. Is it using spacers? Wide wheels with different offset or different rear axle?

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Looking great...
Interesting wheels on the car.. Are they VTO.. What width on the rear... They are sitting out at bodlyline ( square tracked) but not with a deep rim.. Is it using spacers? Wide wheels with different offset or different rear axle?
Very observant. Engine, trans and rear are from ‘73 Capri. I do think the rear is wider than stock Alpine. I’m hoping I didn’t pull the top too tight, since we are quite hot right now.

alpine_64

Donation Time
@NorCal i just noticed your "alger" stickers.. Funny.. But if a V6... Should give it its own name Capine, Alpri? .. Alpri would work with the font too :p

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Stickers are temporary, entertainment for me while I sort the car out and know it’s a car I want to paint/finish. My history is that once I paint them, I sell them shortly after. Not by plan, but just seems to happen. I really enjoy driving the car, although it feels under powered. But it starts, stops, turns, idles, charges, doesn’t overheat and now working on the cosmetics, with the mechanical punch list.

65beam

Donation Time
In reference to VTO wheels mentioned earlier, you'll find the 13" X 5.5" eight spoke wheels sold by VTO do set out past the fender lip on the front. It's not much but when looking down you can see that it's maybe 1/2 inch.. The wheels also make for a wider tire track on the rear. They sell a 13" X 6" wheel that will fit a Sunbeam but they do make for a clearance problem on the rear if using springs that lower the car.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The usual 6" wide wheels normally have a deeper rim to the outside, but will still sit inside a sunbeam rear wheels well lip, the interesting part about this car was that the rear wheels are quite a fair way out (appear inline with the body) and they have a shallow rim depth .. This as confirmed is a result of the different rear end.

A 7" wheel will fit on the back of a series car and still be inside even with a deep rim. Depending on tyres ( and condition / type of spring) they can contact the lip seam.. Trimming or rolling the seam can sort that.

Adding wider front wheels and keeping them inside the lip is more tricky, they require a rim with a shallow outer rim offset and deeper inside.. Which can then cause issues with interference with the steering and suspension .

Most people compromise and just accept the fronts will stick out a little... Adding a little negative camber can tuck them back in

65beam

Donation Time
The VTO eight spoke 13" X 5.5 " wheels for all series Alpines according to VTO have a 19 mm offset and the 6" have a 13mm offset. VTO's recommended wheel for normal driving is the 5.5" width. They do show other size wheels available for both Alpines and Tigers and their customer service folks can recommend the correct tire size.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
The wheels are 15 inch Rota RB, 6 inch wide rims with 25mm offset, 185/55/15 tires front and rear. I could have definitely gone wider on the rear inset, but wanted to be safe.
9B8C8F79-8211-4390-8A69-996820666E76.jpeg

alpine_64

Donation Time
The wheels are 15 inch Rota RB, 6 inch wide rims with 25mm offset, 185/55/15 tires front and rear. I could have definitely gone wider on the rear inset, but wanted to be safe.
View attachment 20499
i think it looks good without to much rim depth on the rear.

I dont mind a little more rim depth for aesthetics on the sunbeam. By default on the wires and normal wheels they have a very shallow rim so they look a bit more sporty with a little more rim ( mg midget wires do that on a wire wheel car)

Most guys to get as square a track as yours on the rear use 7" and it can make the rear rims look a little comical with such a deep rim and then the comparison to the fronts .. Yours comes out nicely ;)

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Norcal, Don't know your real name. How did your 13/16" master work out? Shifter? Look at the 2.9 thread, your 2.6 intake can be modified to fit. Holley sniper, Camcraft cam and Dan R's headers for more power. Maybe 4.0 soon, Dan R and I are working on a intake solution. A lot more power and you would have to upgrade the transmission from the 4 speed to the T5 too.

Last edited:

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Jim, master cylinder is on point, I replaced the shifter linkage and did a tiger shifter handle 2.0 that gives me the feel I wanted. I’d like to be a passenger in someone’s warmed over V6 to see if that gives me what I’m looking for. Ken

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Ken, Pedal not too hard? Probably about the same feel as the stock 260 V8 in a Tiger. There are a couple of California guys that have V6's that would take you for a drive.