• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New top installation

miket

Donation Time
I received my new top on Friday.

Just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom before I start this.

Mike

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Before anything is started, be sure the windshield angle is correct and the top frame components, especially the pivots, are are correct. If they are not, you will not be able to properly fit the top.

Bill

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
When you think you have everything in place and you think everything fits just right, and you have your windows rolled up for a perfect fit there, still don't cut anything off the front header until you're perfectely sure and satified it's right. I had someone else install the top on the Sea Crest Green Series II, they never checked to see if the side glass fit (it didn't) Was never able to use the soft top, because they cut too much off the header. I ended up having to throw the unused brand new top in the trash as there was no way to make any adjustments. :mad:

alpine_64

Donation Time
When you think you have everything in place and you think everything fits just right, and you have your windows rolled up for a perfect fit there, still don't cut anything off the front header until you're perfectely sure and satified it's right. I had someone else install the top on the Sea Crest Green Series II, they never checked to see if the side glass fit (it didn't) Was never able to use the soft top, because they cut too much off the header. I ended up having to throw the unused brand new top in the trash as there was no way to make any adjustments. :mad:

I hear you.. i thin the important thing IMHO is to get all your alignements right (windscreen, A posts 1/4 lights (or guides on a SII) make sure the frame pivots on the S3 onwards are not bent and folding freely and going right to the glass edge.. then start to fit.

I think you should start perhaps by getting the top fitted at the point above the B post on a SI-II as they will determine the fit to the windows then work your way fwd and back.

On the later series you have to try and avoid the wrinkles you get round the back when they are not held with enough tension.,..

measure twice cut once!

miket

Donation Time
Thanks gents,

Guess I should have mentioned I have a series V.

Question, when reinstalling the top hold down strip on the header, did you use metal screws or pop-rivets?

Mike

rapier

Donation Time
The best advice is to pay a professional trimmer to do the job. It's far too easy to make an expensive mistake.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The best advice is to pay a professional trimmer to do the job. It's far too easy to make an expensive mistake.

yes and NO! the poblem is with sunbeam tops often peolpe have not done one before. a comon error from trimmers is to seal the top behind the side metal strips and then it wont fold or tears, they also dont align the screens and will put fasteners where there should be..

Take it to a pro.. with an illsutared copy of the owners manula.. that way they see how it works and should look.

I had one of the best trimmers in Au install mine on the SII.. i left instructions.. they were not passed on to the guy who did the work.. man did they botch it! :mad: so many things done wonr and ruined the top.. + the fun of a big bill... NEVER AGAIN.. i would not have one done now without being there.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

While it is easy to make a mistake, it is also possible to do a good job the first time around. I showed my installed top to the guy that did my interior, he pointed out ways to improve the fit, which I did. But in general, said he could not have done a better job. In short, installing a soft top is a bitch of a job and takes a lot of time if you've never done an example of the particular model. That includes professionals. Keep in mind the pro has to get the job done quickly, you don't. That gives you an advantage.

Get a helper and listen to what that person has to say. My wife helped me and her input was invaluable. Sometimes you make changes to improve the fit in one area, but make the fit worse in another. You tend to concentrate on the problem and do not notice adverse affects. The helper, serving as an unbiased observer, is much more able to see the larger picture and point out issues created by the change.

We installed our top on a hot sunny day with the car parked in the sun. I about melted down as I was the "inside" person, but it makes fitting much easier.

Bill

AlpineII

Donation Time
Agree on the previous points. On my Series II I waited weeks for an appointment with local ragtop "expert". When I picked up the car later that night the guy had it half on, too far back to properly fit on the sides and gave up when it wouldn't line up right. He gave me my money back but that top is still not installed. I need a long sunny day to take a shot at it myself but everytime it is sunny I decide to drive it instead!!!

Gonne treat my Series 3 V6 like a GT and drive it with the hardtop on or nothing!

miket

Donation Time
I got to work on it tonight.

There certainly doesn't look like there will be much excess to trim.

I've got the top clamed in place temporarily. The velcro rails do help.

I'll let the sun soften it tomorrow then try to make it more taunt.

I think the key here is to take my time.

Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would caution about making it too tight... the tops tend to shrink just a bit over time, and if you make it too tight now, then in 5 years it will be pulling off the Velcro every time you go out.

repete

Donation Time
I read this with interest as I'm going to be putting on a top soon for the first time. Not trying to hijack thread , but any recommendation's on what top and from where?? Any one have any luck with the guy on ebay , I think he's in Canada

miket

Donation Time
Repete,
The ebay guy from Canada wanted $90 for shipping (to Canada). My shipping from SS including door panels was $50. The top is made by Robins.
Mike

LarryN

Diamond Level Sponsor
I replaced the top on my Series II last fall - bought the top from Sunbeam Specialties. It actually took several months of reverse engineering (interrupted many times by life in general) to figure out most (I hope) of the things done wrong in installing the top that came with the car. I replaced the pop rivets on the header and the aft body attachment with sheet metal screws, replaced some spurious snaps with the correct attachments, replaced the webbing straps on the top frame, etc. Spent many hours draping the top over the frame, scooting it around to see how it fit, and trying to decide how to proceed (I really understand the guys who wrote in about the various ways both amateurs and professionals can wreck a top).

The header rail seems to be either the wrong one for the car or bent somehow - that made fitting up the leading edge a bit tricky and the front weather seal just about impossible. In the end, it doesn't leak much in a fairly heavy rain at 65 mph so...

As suggested elsewhere, I started by clamping the rear flap of the top to the body and centering the front on the header. I then marked and installed the fasteners around the windows (left the cantrail snaps until later). The rear fasteners were next. Installing the metal clamping strip over the rear flap proved to be a headache - I think because I was being too cautious. Once I had two screws holding it in place, it went OK.

Tensioning the top at the header went OK, although I'm not sure it is as taut as it should be. Definitely a 2-person job at that point.

I put the forward webbing straps through the "pockets" on the inside of the top - adds a little support to the top, but may be interfering when I stow the fabric.

Good luck!