• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New to the darkside

kmathis

Donation Time
Wow!! Welcome; nice car!! Usually newcomers are starting out with a car that is...let us say...less than perfect. Your car is nice right out of the gate. If you need any help with anything...you have come to the right place. You won't meet a better bunch of people than you will find right here.:)

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Take it easy on the poor guy.... Since he's finished his car, he has trouble focusing on anything other than driving it! :)

Lol, probably true and I don't blame him. So Kelly, are you thinking of the next project yet? I know every time I've finished building something I knew that now that I have experience the next one was gonna be even better.

Buck, great looking Conversion. Can we get some more pics? Where and how did you get the car?

kmathis

Donation Time
Alright, alright...who knew? Nice car regardless.:)

No next project planned at this time...I am just enjoying the car and doing a few more little details to make it just a bit nicer.:)

buckalpine3

Donation Time
Lol, probably true and I don't blame him. So Kelly, are you thinking of the next project yet? I know every time I've finished building something I knew that now that I have experience the next one was gonna be even better.

Buck, great looking Conversion. Can we get some more pics? Where and how did you get the car?

Mike, this was a California car which was stored in a garage for 25 years, then was in Kansas for a while. The next owner moved it to Vermont and experienced engine problems. He had a Ford dealership service manager and vintage car buff do the Jose 2.8 conversion with T-5. He had placed the car for sale on the forum early last year and I was able to buy it last fall. The exterior and interior were pretty rough but everything was solid underneath with no rust. I thought the conversion was very well done and was happy to have gotten it. I had it painted the original color code 58.

buckalpine3

Donation Time
Hi Bob, just south of Bellbrook and north of Waynesville. I saw your S lV at Doug's last Sunday. Very nice.
Dave

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike, this was a California car which was stored in a garage for 25 years, then was in Kansas for a while. The next owner moved it to Vermont and experienced engine problems. He had a Ford dealership service manager and vintage car buff do the Jose 2.8 conversion with T-5. He had placed the car for sale on the forum early last year and I was able to buy it last fall. The exterior and interior were pretty rough but everything was solid underneath with no rust. I thought the conversion was very well done and was happy to have gotten it. I had it painted the original color code 58.

Ah, yes, I think I remember seeing that car on the forum, cool. I love the 'stored in a garage for 25yrs' part. I dream of finds like that. Nice to know the conversion was done by competent people and done right.

Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
A Little aside on this Alpine. The guy that bought it to take to his home in Vermont, was told by the seller, that he shouldn't drive it faster tan 55 mph. on his way back. He feared that it would damage the engine. Needless to say, the new owner felt it would go faster without any problems, so drove it at 65-70 mph. on his way back. He only made it half way home, when the bottom end went away. I can't remember if it threw a rod, but the poor Alpine needed to be towed home. He decided right then to go with a more reliable power train and swapped in the Little 2.8 V6. He has enjoyed it for about 15 years, if my memory serves me correctly (sometimes I can't remember if I ate breakfast or not).

The Alpine looks great now. I know you'll enjoy it for many more years.

Jose

edglenda

Donation Time
3.8 lit ford V6

I am trying to find out if I have to beef up the front end of the Alpine V to take this engine.
Will the stock springs carry a 500lb load?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am trying to find out if I have to beef up the front end of the Alpine V to take this engine.

If you manage to get a 3.8 installed in an Alpine, the springs will be child's play. Worst case scenario, install Tiger springs. Installing a 3.8 - well, that's going to take some doing.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Eglenda,

You don't need to do anything with the stock springs. I have run them stock on both of my Alpines, and had no problems. The V6 doesn't add that much weight to the front end, and the Alpine rides a bit stiff as it is. Some guys have put Tiger springs in their V6 Alpines, and complained about the ride and handling.

Jose