• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New member ,,question

jerseyjoe

Donation Time
Hi All,
I just picked up a Series iv that was started but needs to be finished. Really a nice car and I am learning everyday. The motor is rebuilt and the body and paint are finished, now on to the last items. I finished installing a new wood dash and currently putting the trim around the windows. My question is...all of the holes were filled in and I need to know the distance between the letters on the trunk and hood. I will be using 3M tape for this as I cannot bear the thought of drilling holes into the body. Thank you all
Joe

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
What are they filled in with? If it is body filler, you should be able to see it from the back side. I would carefully drill it out from the back side. Did you plan to cut the pins off of the letters? Getting good alignment and spacing probably wouldn't be easy.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Pretty sure I could produce a template from mine but picking out an indexing point would be interesting.

jerseyjoe

Donation Time
letters on trunk

My plan is to remove the pins and using masking tape, mark of where they go once I know the pacing. The center line is easy to get but again, no sure of the distance between each letter. A template would be great.
Thank you,
Joe

loose_electron

Donation Time
I would find the original holes and carefully clear them out from the back. The tape method may look good for a while but a year later things are going to start to fail.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since it appears you are new to the marque, are you sure your car is a Series IV and not a Series V? Both cars were in production in 1965 and the SIV had the front letters but the SV did not. If a Series IV the VIN will start with B940 or B941 whereas the SV will start B395.

Mark ..... volvoguys

jerseyjoe

Donation Time
Thank you for the question. It is a Series IV has it starts with 941 and in the box of parts there is two sets of letters that were on the car.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Even if you do not remove the plugs from the original holes, it seems it should be easy to locate them on the inside of the trunk and measure the distances between each. I would measure the distance between the lower hole on each, mark those measurements on a large piece of paper or cardboard, lay the letters in place on the cardboard using the lower pins, and create the map.

Tom

P.S. Joe, if you send me an e-mail with your e-mail address I will send you a perfect square-on photo of the rear of an SV. From that you can really make a pretty accurate template.

To send an e-mail just click on my forum name and select "send an e-mail..."

Last edited:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Tom H. wrote: "I will send you a perfect square-on photo of the rear of an SV."

Would you mind taping a yardstick above or below them, and measuring the height of the baseline above the trunk edge, and the inset to the letters left and right? And send it to me, too? Pretty please? :)

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, The picture I sent him was a picture I had in my files from someone else. But hey, since you asked, I took a pic of MY trunk with a tape measure under it. And the bottom of letters are 8-5/16" above the bottom lip of the trunk. And for future ref, the letters are 20" from left of S to right of M .

I'll send my pic to you and Joe and to Mike Hartman for his files

Tom