• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Contest: I Have The Coolest Spouse Because.....

Nickodell

Donation Time
I have the coolest spouse because, on Paul Newman's death, we've now been married longer, at48 years, than anyone in Hollywood (Richard Benjamin & Paula Prentice are close, at 47). In fact, she's put up with me for 51 years, since we started dating seriously.

Met at high school first, 56 years ago. Dated briefly, then, by the weirdest coincidence (anyone believe in fate?) a year later found ourselves both working our way through college by being employed at the the same firm. Then dated again briefly, and she left to go to RADA (Royal Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts) in London, and we corresponded occasionally and dated during college breaks. On graduating, she returned home just as I entered grad. school, where we began the 51- year "Grow old with me, the best is yet to come."

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have the coolest spouse because, on Paul Newman's death, we've now been married longer, at48 years, than anyone in Hollywood (Richard Benjamin & Paula Prentice are close, at 47). In fact, she's put up with me for 51 years, since we started dating seriously.

Met at high school first, 56 years ago. Dated briefly, then, by the weirdest coincidence (anyone believe in fate?) a year later found ourselves both working our way through college by being employed at the the same firm. Then dated again briefly, and she left to go to RADA (Royal Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts) in London, and we corresponded occasionally and dated during college breaks. On graduating, she returned home just as I entered grad. school, where we began the 51- year "Grow old with me, the best is yet to come."

Nick
That is nice.
We make 48 years this July

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The Winner is!!!

Ok, drum roll! I have the honor of announcing the winner and it is Jim Stone!

Congratulations Jim! There were many good entrants and I have to say we are all lucky to have who we have... it takes a great deal of tolerance to put up with a British car owner.

Jim wins a $45 Platinum Level donation with all the goodies (http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=76) plus any bonus points with the wife.... which should be significant... I hope well beyond the appreciation of unloading the dishwasher with out being asked. Dinner out?
Who knows?

Thank you to Mark for suggesting this competition. Maybe there's another good contest waiting in the wings....

Steve

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Guess I'm too late. Oh well.

My wife just bought me a gunsafe this week for our ANNIVERSARY! God, I love that woman.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Just on comments alone...I think mine is pretty cool.

We went to look at a 38 Ford pickup. It was buried in a hay field. She looked at it. Fenders in the back of the truck. No engine and quite a bit of patina to it. She lloked it over and finally asked "Without fenders right?" (I was misty eyed)

We went on our first major bike rides back on the east coast. To ride the Dragon 318 curves in 11 miles. It was her first major bike ride.
We finished the ride and are stopping at Deal's Gap. She looks over to me and says rather loudly! "The Dragon is next right?" Several of the fellows that were white knuckling the ride...felt really small at that point. She laughed when she heard the news.

She cooks and cleans to make herself busy to give me time to work on my 37 truck project. She did this the other day when the we picked up the Alpine.
She went to town on cleaning it out. She then said "I would really like to restore this to original." My response "OK, its all you." After she removed the carb and valve cover (while detailing hoses and various engine wires) She discovered a lot of work needed to get it back to running order.
She then said" Well you know If I am to keep up with your Cobra...then i am going to need more power....and I would get bored with the little 4 "
All this was said wearing a pair of coveralls.. pulled half down at the waist and wearing a bikini top.. *damn*

To top it off she can road race,,,open track ,,,scca,,,put on a car show. Can distinguish a DB7 from jag...surf...jump a 1200.lb horse over a 4 foot jump...ride her own Harley...cook like Rachel Rae....and not to mention a wicked shot with a pistola. All this and still looking very hot.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Great wife

Wow, all of you guys sound like you have terrific wives--keep up the good work as it takes two to have greatness in a relationship.

Now, my wife is up there in being great. I have had 90 cars and she stills acts interested, everytime one comes home. Sometimes they are real basket cases but she smiles and talks in depth about the extent of the planned restoration. I mean, she throws in the passion and can talk details. She lets me believe all my stories of how they are great investments, this will be my last one, etc., you know the tales we weave.

But the high light came when I went to buy another sunbeam and had the choice of two. We drove down on her birthday in the pooring rain over a hundred miles to pick up the Alpine. On the way home, she said, why don't we drop this one off and go get the other one as well--a hundred miles in the opposite direction. And so we did.

Well, eight sunbeams later; alpines, tigers and a harrington, she still supports the madness which includes restorations, shows, and the constant car talk. Now she is gearing up for racing, my 64 Alpine.

Bill Atalla
http://community.webshots.com/user/atallamcs

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Okay, guys...I must throw my wife into the ring for being the "coolest spouse." We've been married now for almost two years and, after my first marriage to a woman who seemed threatened by my hobby followed by a thirteen year stretch of bachelorhood, Lisa was a Godsend! I think she's almost as big a car fan as I am! I picked up on that early in our relationship when she agreed to spend a couple of dates in my shop, working on the restoration of my Alpine race car. She wanted to run the bead-blasting cabinet and turned out to be pretty good at it! How many women will do that????

She has supported me in all of my car ventures; racing, restoration, going through "car withdrawals," etc. Not once has she given me a hard time over the cars; that's pretty spectacular in itself considering what "mad car" disease does to a person!! She's stuck with me through my flights of fancy of wanting "this" car or "that" car, or the current project of building a new shop. Just when I think she wants to brain me with the nearest wrench, she steps up to me and gives me a big hug and tells me she loves me. Man, there is NOTHING in this world that means more to me than that!

We go riding around in the Tiger occasionally but, with the Alpine not being street legal, she rarely gets seat time in it. However, she says she likes it better than the Tiger (she's definitely a "fin" kind of girl...). She respects the Tiger and knows it's my baby but, given the choice of the two, she'd take the Alpine. Our future plans include a change in configuration for the Alpine; we plan to put the windshield and the factory hardtop back on it and install a competition roll bar that will fit under the hardtop. The car will still be legal for racing but will also be able to be driven on the street. Once that's done, I bet I'll have a hard time keeping her out of it!!!! I can also see the purchase of another driver's suit and helmet in our future!!

Yes, sir...there's nothing better than being able to share a hobby that I love so dearly with Lisa. We are going to attend SUNI up in Rapid City this June and we hope we get to meet all of you and your spouses while we're there!

lemansvk

Donation Time
Well, back in 1983 when I was thinking of buying a motorcycle for cheap transport, my spouse said "I'm not ready to bury you just yet, why not get a 4 cylinder car". We looked around and as luck would have it found the Alpine. What's more, she paid for it.

Is that cool?

anduril3019

Donation Time
She is the coolest because...

We recently had a small amount of "extra" money, and she insisted that I buy an Alpine I had shown her on Craigslist instead of paying off a credit card. She wants me to have the opportunity to teach my sons how to work on it. She's a teacher and doesn't want her boys to grow up like the majority of students she teaches who don't even know how to check their car's oil, much less change it, or upgrade the oiling system. Anyway, maybe not the wiser financial decision, but one I was glad to make this time.

Cheers