• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New bushings in front suspension

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
1966 series V mostly stock

i would like to replace the bushings in my front suspension. Getting creaky!!
I have read what I could and watched video and it appears that the only way or the best way to do this work is a very radical process that tears the entire assembly from the car. “Tears” might be too strong a word( sorry).
Is there not an easier solution than taking the entire front suspension from the car?
Is this why so many folks rebuild, repaint — completely redo the front suspension when bushings need to be replaced?

Thanks all
Andrew

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
There is no need to remove the cross member. If you are using urethane bushings from SS check this thread. I did mine some years ago just removing the A-arms.

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is good news as I do not want to restore as much as I want to repair.
My bushings are not only a little creaky, but are cracking . Last time I had my car in the air, I found a couple pieces of rebound rubber on the floor.

I am a “ shade tree “ mechanic on a good day. Does anyone have or is there one posted somewhere — a step by step procedure for replacing those bushings? I am a pretty good direction follower and I would hate to send a spring through a wall another car or my body.
Is this more than appropriately compressing the spring, unbolting some parts, removing the old and installing the new bushings— putting it back the way it came off?
If anyone can provide the “ step by step”, please include cautions and problem areas and ways to over come them. Also, uncommon tools that one might use to make the job go more smoothly.

thanks in advance for help/advice
Andrew
Sandy, Oregon

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
My $.02

First disclaimer: I have done LITTLE front end work since the 1990s...

Second disclaimer: a lot of the work I did was on Tigers....

Third disclaimer: Tigers have issues Alpines do not.....

However, back in the '90s, I rebuilt a LOT of front ends that LOOKED

bad but were not bad.

People don't like the Look of Cracked A-Arm bushings,

That does NOT mean they are BAD, They still Function.

Ball joints and tierod ends are bigger problems (and Tigers are Hard on X-members, etc)

DW

Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Personally I don't like the urethane bushes. We've fitted them before but they work very differently from the metallastic ones and give a very different ride to the car.

As DW says above the rubber often looks a lot worse than it actually is because the visible ends crack up while the main centre of the bush is fine.

If you decide to do the full job this video from The Sunbeam Alpine Channel may help you.

tim R

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Tim
On video: Are you suggesting starting with the removal of the anti roll bar?— leaving all the rest attached to the car.

How does one really know the difference between “looking” bad and “being” bad?
Isn’t looking bad soon to be bad? That rubber is there for a reason.

My car rides well for my purposes, but as things are starting to look bad, I was considering heading off being bad.
Is there anything to do to make what is there last longer and perform well?

Our rainy season will be starting soon here in the PNW and I thought re-bushing the front suspension would be a good downtime project.
Thanks for all the input
Be well all
Andrew