• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need help with To Do List after long term storage

fireroad

Donation Time
Hi everyone, long time no post! I'm finally pulling my 66 SV out of a 6 year (unintentional storage). My father, who owned one in the 70's, will be out visiting for a week to help me get her back running again.

Before storage she ran great except for a leaking clutch slave cylinder and radiator. We had just replaced the radiator and was in the process of bleeding the clutch when the carb seals went out thanks to ethanol gas (single tank, switched back to AV gas immediately). By the time I got the carb back from being rebuilt I moved out of state for a job so into storage she went until next week when our garage is finally finished.

Here's my to do/to purchase list of things that likely need addressing. Can you all give it a once over and see if I am missing anything? I only have local access so most everything is going to be ordered online and from SS.

SS: 2 carb seals (stromberg), clutch slave cylinder or rebuild kit, radiator hoses (lower, upper, bypass), 4 tank balance hoses

Online: Purlolator PL14670 Oil filter, Catrol GTLMA Dot3 or Castrol Advanced Performance 3/4 for clutch and brakes, Champion N9YC plugs,

NAPA: Rotella 15w-40 T, Group 24 battery

What am I missing, or what do I have wrong? Thanks in advance!

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi everyone, long time no post! I'm finally pulling my 66 SV out of a 6 year (unintentional storage). My father, who owned one in the 70's, will be out visiting for a week to help me get her back running again.

Before storage she ran great except for a leaking clutch slave cylinder and radiator. We had just replaced the radiator and was in the process of bleeding the clutch when the carb seals went out thanks to ethanol gas (single tank, switched back to AV gas immediately). By the time I got the carb back from being rebuilt I moved out of state for a job so into storage she went until next week when our garage is finally finished.

Here's my to do/to purchase list of things that likely need addressing. Can you all give it a once over and see if I am missing anything? I only have local access so most everything is going to be ordered online and from SS.

SS: 2 carb seals (stromberg), clutch slave cylinder or rebuild kit, radiator hoses (lower, upper, bypass), 4 tank balance hoses

Online: Purlolator PL14670 Oil filter, Catrol GTLMA Dot3 or Castrol Advanced Performance 3/4 for clutch and brakes, Champion N9YC plugs,

NAPA: Rotella 15w-40 T, Group 24 battery

What am I missing, or what do I have wrong? Thanks in advance!
Pull and clean your gas tanks. Blow out the fuel lines.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I use Castrol LMA Dot 4 fluid for brakes and clutch, as I thought it matchs the original OEM fluid. I know Dot 3 has slightly different specs than Dot 4, but not sure if it will cause any issues.

How old are the rubber brake hoses?

Check the handbrake adjustment. You will need it if you encounter brake issues.

Per Gordon above - did you ever clean and seal the gas tanks? If not, expect to have paint flaking off the tanks' interiors issues. While the gas tanks are empty, I'd add a fuel filter before the fuel pump. The Wix 33011 fuel filter fits the original nylon fuel lines.

How old is any rubber in the fuel lines (such as the connection to the carbs)? (Use ethanol rated lines J30R9 spec.)

Maybe change the gearbox oil.

Have a fire extinguisher handy.

Mike

fireroad

Donation Time
I use Castrol LMA Dot 4 fluid for brakes and clutch, as I thought it matchs the original OEM fluid. I know Dot 3 has slightly different specs than Dot 4, but not sure if it will cause any issues.

How old are the rubber brake hoses?

Check the handbrake adjustment. You will need it if you encounter brake issues.

Per Gordon above - did you ever clean and seal the gas tanks? If not, expect to have paint flaking off the tanks' interiors issues. While the gas tanks are empty, I'd add a fuel filter before the fuel pump. The Wix 33011 fuel filter fits the original nylon fuel lines.

How old is any rubber in the fuel lines (such as the connection to the carbs)? (Use ethanol rated lines J30R9 spec.)

Maybe change the gearbox oil.

Have a fire extinguisher handy.

Mike

Draining the old fuel is first on the list! Tanks were previously coated so there should be no issues there. I have a fuel filter inline between the original manual pump and what I believe is an electric pump. Why the original owner had two pumps I'm not quite sure...

Will make sure to check and adjust the handbrake. I know the rubber break hoses are at least 10 years old, as is the rubber fuel lines. I had planned on replacing all the rubber fuels lines when I put on the new carb and rebuild the manual fuel pump. Previous owner was a pilot so he ran the car on AV gas (no ethanol) and I can get non-ethanol gas locally because of all the local outdoor recreation (boaters and snowmobilers won't run ethanol).

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'd look a bit more closely at the possibility of multiple fuel pumps. There was a recent thread about the gasket failing in the manual pump and gas leaking into the oil. If you have an electric pump, I expect the manual pump had failed. The manual pump should be by-passed (and maybe removed and the hole sealed?).

Mike

fireroad

Donation Time
I'd look a bit more closely at the possibility of multiple fuel pumps. There was a recent thread about the gasket failing in the manual pump and gas leaking into the oil. If you have an electric pump, I expect the manual pump had failed. The manual pump should be by-passed (and maybe removed and the hole sealed?).

Mike
If remember correctly the original owner added a Beck/Arnley style pump on a switch to prime the manual pump. Manual pump is still connected and never had any issues with it leaking. Will be ordering the rebuild kit for the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_6287.JPG
    IMG_6287.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6286.JPG
    IMG_6286.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6284.JPG
    IMG_6284.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6281.JPG
    IMG_6281.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 31

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
It isn’t relevant to your original question, but I don’t see the need for two fuel pumps and I’d move the fuel filter to be before the fuel pump. The filter looks like it is on the output of the fuel pump.

Good luck getting it fired up again!

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
Did you have a good anti-corrosion inhibitor coolant in the motor? Id flush the and neutralise the cooling system and then install a gano filter in the top hose.

Add a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb.

Order some new front brake hoses.. If you had a servo fitted keep a close eye on it.. Be prepared to bypass it.

Id put some oil down the spark plugs and turn motor by hand a day or so after.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
I would want to be sure no rust or accumulated crud build up in; master brake, clutch, slave, and wheel cylinders. Sitting for a few years can really play havoc with these components.