• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Need a few Alpine dimensions...

ccrunner

Donation Time
Hi Darksiders :D

I'm seeking a few crucial measurements as I contemplate an engine swap (I don't yet have an Alpine from which to measure)..

--I need to know the distance between the front frame rails at the narrowest point (plus/minus an inch is close enough)

--I need to know how tall the OEM engines are bottom of oil pan to top of valve cover..

Thanks guys-

-ccrunner

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Darksiders :D

I'm seeking a few crucial measurements as I contemplate an engine swap (I don't yet have an Alpine from which to measure)..

--I need to know the distance between the front frame rails at the narrowest point (plus/minus an inch is close enough)

--I need to know how tall the OEM engines are bottom of oil pan to top of valve cover..

Thanks guys-

-ccrunner
My engine bay measures 19 3/4" at the narrowest point. But the big problem is the steering arms, seen in the photo with the steering at left lock. It sticks out past the rail about 4". Does the same on the other side at opposite lock. That is usually the deal killer. Interferes with the starter.

Height is not an issue. You can run a twin OHC engine with the intake going over the top, no real problem. I am doing that.

The Alpine engine bay is so convoluted it is best to buy (or borrow) the cheapest, probably junk, engine you can find and use it for the fabrication stage of the swap just in case things don't work out. There are a lot of surprises hidden under that hood.

Bill

ccrunner

Donation Time
Thank you Bill- just what I needed..

I'm looking at a 2.0 Ecotec (turbo) engine to squeeze in there (it's bulky at an almost perfect 25" cube)... It is with much studying/reading/probing that I've come to the conclusion I'm going to have to fab in my own 'straight' frame rails to accept my chosen motor, never mind that the OEM steering can't remain either- I just wasn't sure how wide the OEM rails were to start with..

My plan is to narrow a welder's series Mustang II cross member and fab it in to help my engine and all of it ancillaries fit (I'm planning to run AC)...

I've read all about the V6 swaps and know they're almost bolt in, but I do my own work, and love the challenge of fitting this engine in a bay where it doesn't belong (that, and it makes lots of modern, reliable HP and torque)

I've read about your build Bill, and find it very impressive... lots of hours, attention to detail, and careful planning- very slick :cool:..

-ccrunner

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My advice is to approach the project with only one, simple thought in mind. That you are going to do what it takes to install the engine/tranny. That way you are not limiting yourself to one approach. Who knows what you will find when you first lower the engine and tranny into the bay? I sure don't. You don't either. The 25" cube figure has no more meaning than the 19 3/4" rail number. It is very possible for them to co-exist.

Approach with an open mind.

Bill

ccrunner

Donation Time
Agreed... it's the unknown issues that present the greatest challenges (and I find most rewarding!).. At the risk of making myself look like a narcissistic, self promoting jerk, here's a link to my current winding-down build that I've enjoyed very much...

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14452

I've learned an awful lot on the Honda BEC build, and since I saw a finned Alpine at a local show years ago, I knew the Sunbeam marquee would be my next challenge..

I'm still in research mode for the Alpine, but I'd like to start parts-gathering soon and get underway in the next 6-9 months...

Attachments

• engine with exhaust and mc and inner fender arches in place.jpg
    engine with exhaust and mc and inner fender arches in place.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 61
  • new clip on its temporary legs for final trimming and mounting in car.jpg
    new clip on its temporary legs for final trimming and mounting in car.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No need to explain yourself to me. Solving a problem that no other person has ever contemplated is one of life's greatest pleasures.

That you are building on the Locost site tells all. One of the finest collections of amiable Gear Heads in the world. And in addition, an outstanding collection of automotive know how.

Will you be posting your build here and Locost?

Bill

P.S. At risk of giving yourself an inferiority complex, check out Bill Ashby's (Bashby) Nissan in Alpine effort. A real exercise in putting 10 pounds of mud in a 5 pound sack and creating something very beautiful.

Bill

Last edited: