• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Mystery" valve cover

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

Does anyone know what Sunbeam model the lettered valve cover shown comes from? I have only seen this version once, where the filler neck is toward the front of the vehicle, and I assumed that car didn't have the original cover on it. It would seem that this cover is a bit rare, but that may not translate to valuable, collectible, desirable or practical for implementation in an Alpine

Thanks

Rick

Attachments

• P1050558r.jpg
    P1050558r.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 114

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rick,

I've been discussing these covers with a few friends for a couple of years. Logic because of the front filling point would make you think they were an optional competition cover for a rapier as they had a rear hinged bonnet and their oil filler with a stock cover was at the back and required an extended neck, it also meant the bonnet got in the way of a person. So moving it to the front would give faster and easier access.... But then if you made a casting for this part, which would mean tooling costs were done and eliminated the need for an extended filler neck... Why not standardise it?? Also why in the photos of the works rapiers both rally and track don't they use them??

I've seen several on early series alpines on eBay over the past few years, which is odd as the filler is in the narrowest part of the opening and cap would be in close proximity to the slope of the bonnet, not to mention a pain to access. I've also seen a couple for sale but they always remained unsold. I contacted the seller of one once that had listed his a few times and offered $50, he came back later asking 70 ... But as I was just interested in owning it as a curiosity I didn't buy it.

They are a rare part, but are around... They seem less practical on an alpine, and there was the optional alpine one that has the same lettering and "s" but in the normal alpine location... So they are interesting, somewhat rare.. But not really desirable or valuable.... Sorry.

That said, yours looks nice.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Michael,

Thanks for the reply. This is very interesting.... perhaps just to me and you and your discussion friends. I too figured it had something to do with a Sunbeam model that would have the filler neck toward the front for easier access given a different engine compartment arrangement than the Alpine. This could have been with respect to hoses, carbs, air intakes implemented, etc.

On my Alpine, there really isn't any difference in access to the filler neck in either position and there is ample clearance on the bonnet as the bonnet "bubbles up" in the center to clear other stuff. I also had several filler necks in my collection for some reason and they are not all the same height for whatever reason. So I could use a shorter one. With a twin Stromberg setup, the flame trap hose arrangement can just be reversed. It has the added advantage of getting this hose out of the way of the carb linkage.

The one other implementation I saw in Nashville (see photo), was a IV with a different carb arrangement. My arrangement is shown with a comparison of two filler neck heights.

I always have the option of returning to the one originally on the car and relegating this front filler neck valve cover to B.A.S.H. valve cover racing. But for added advantage, I'm thinking I should go with red background on the lettering. I'm told red is faster. Ha.

Thanks
Rick

Attachments

• P1050091m.jpg
    P1050091m.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 64
  • P1080532r.jpg
    P1080532r.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 88
  • P1080534r.jpg
    P1080534r.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 81

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Although I've seen this cover on two Series II's, including one very original car that was bought new in France and shipped over, I think the cover was installed on Series II or III Rapiers.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Although I've seen this cover on two Series II's, including one very original car that was bought new in France and shipped over, I think the cover was installed on Series II or III Rapiers.

Won't be series ii rapier as they were iron head, the iii had the alloy head, but still Not sure they used the reversed rocker cover?

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
There is also the exact cover I have for sale on US eBay and it describes it as a Series II valve cover.

Rick