• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Motor lrx 900248

Ray62pine

Donation Time
I just purchased this 1960 motor, I was wondering what the chances are of the car still being on the road. I thought the owner of that car might like to have it back.

The motor was purchased in 1971 in San jose, the guy was going to make a portable welder but didn't and then just stored it until last week.

It was not frozen and fired up just perfect. Carbs not leaking, acellerator pumps work, fuel pump works.

Ray

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just checked our Registry

Ray, The car you refer to is not in our Registry. But someone may have some knowledge.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
"...It was not frozen and fired up just perfect. Carbs not leaking, acellerator pumps work, fuel pump works."

Obviously not an Alpine engine. :)

Good find!

65beam

Donation Time
motor

Ken,
What makes you think that? Our 69 GT sat in a garage for33 or 34 years. After cleaning the carbs, changing plugs and points and running a hose from the fuel pump to a gas can and installing a good battery it fired up and it's still going. That was in 2006. The clutch master and slave still worked. I put it in gear and moved the car. Never under estimate an Alpine.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I just purchased this 1960 motor, I was wondering what the chances are of the car still being on the road. I thought the owner of that car might like to have it back.

The motor was purchased in 1971 in San jose, the guy was going to make a portable welder but didn't and then just stored it until last week.

It was not frozen and fired up just perfect. Carbs not leaking, acellerator pumps work, fuel pump works.

Ray

Its great that you are trying to reunite the motor with the original car. However i would guess the car might no longer be around. If the motor is a good strong engine and was bought in '71 it seems likely that it might have been removed from a rusted out or wrecked car. Hoefully not... But would be odd to remove a good running engine from a car back then unless it was salvaging it

65beam

Donation Time
motor

I think so. Everyone knows the real reason to question if it was an Alpine engine is the statement "And it did not leak a drop of oil!".

Bill

Bill,
last Sunday at Mid Ohio I had a guy from the U.K. tell me that leaking oil was engineered into British engines as away to know oil level. If they quit leaking then you're out of oil.
The engine number listed is not an Alpine engine number. Not enough numbers.

Ray62pine

Donation Time
Bill,
last Sunday at Mid Ohio I had a guy from the U.K. tell me that leaking oil was engineered into British engines as away to know oil level. If they quit leaking then you're out of oil.
The engine number listed is not an Alpine engine number. Not enough numbers.

Thanks for that, I am trying to setup an account to post pics. Any ideas on what that might be. I will check them again. It looks identical to the motor in my car. With aluminum head and valve cover.

I also was thinking car might have been wrecked, but pondered that in 71 someone might have upgraded to the 1700 alpine, or other.