• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

More performance for Alpine Fastback?

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
And yes, Tiger Tom fitted rack & pinion steering to his RotoRooter. When I last drove it, it had a Mini rack with 2 turns lock to lock. Talk about responsive steering!

alpinefastback

Donation Time
The Talbot Sunbeam Lotus used a 2.2 liter Lotus engine, good enough in works trim to win the 1981 World Rally Championship. That same basic engine was also used in the Jensen Healey. The Jensen Healey happened to use a Rapier gearbox. So it shouldn't be too difficult to put a Jensen Healey engine into an Arrow range car, whether it be an Alpine, Rapier, or Hunter. I've heard of one swap in the UK, but haven't found any pictures.

I remember reading about the Talbot in Retro Cars magazine and thinking how cool it was. I did a little internet research about the Lotus 907 engine. I got all excited as I thought about a lotus twin cam engine in my car, but that excitement faded as I realized how much it would cost. Everything I've read is that the problems with this engine have been fixed by modern technology, but it doesn't come cheap. Cost for a solid engine is going to be in the $3,000-$5000 range. Ouch.

Cool idea for a swap though. Thanks.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Talbot Sunbeam Lotus used a 2.2 liter Lotus engine, good enough in works trim to win the 1981 World Rally Championship. That same basic engine was also used in the Jensen Healey. The Jensen Healey happened to use a Rapier gearbox.

Funny story about that Lotus motor... I was working at Lotus at the time doing some custom mold development work. We had just finished developing the motor, but had not yet run it through a full series of endurance and stress tests. Coincidentally, Jensen was shopping around for a motor for their new Healey follow-on, and they came sniffing around our door as well. Colin, never the one to look a gift horse in the mouth, saw the opportunity that this presented for Lotus... we could get the endurance testing done, not just on test beds, but on real cars, and at zero cost... indeed, they'd be *paying* us for the motors and we'd make a profit out of the deal! And if the motor was crap they'd take the hit on their reputation, not Lotus. And that's exactly what happened - the motor had several very serious issues that emerged and Jensen really took it on the chin for them (in fact, between the motor issues and rusting problems, the car was doomed)... meanwhile Lotus got a chance to work out each one of the bugs and by the time it was headed for a Lotus production chassis it was a pretty well sorted motor! And by then the Jensen-Healey was but a bad memory.

Ahh, the nasty things that happen in the motor industry.

Jim E

Donation Time
Just a thought floating in my head. On the series intake mount to a tilted engine car, instead of machining the side that bolts to the head could you do a wedged shape spacer under the carb instead. Seems it would be easier.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just a thought floating in my head. On the series intake mount to a tilted engine car, instead of machining the side that bolts to the head could you do a wedged shape spacer under the carb instead. Seems it would be easier.

The mounting holes would be at an angle relative to the studs.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why machine anything? Why not build up the manifold mounting surface with JB Weld and use a wood rasp and 6 X 48 belt sander to get the 90* angle. Just because the traditional method required machining and welding does not mean it has to be done that way now.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Why machine anything? Why not build up the manifold mounting surface with JB Weld and use a wood rasp and 6 X 48 belt sander to get the 90* angle. Just because the traditional method required machining and welding does not mean it has to be done that way now.

Bill

Then how will the mounting bolts tighten both the intake and exhaust manifolds simultaneously?

Both mounting faces need to be at the same level and parallel.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Then how will the mounting bolts tighten both the intake and exhaust manifolds simultaneously?

Both mounting faces need to be at the same level and parallel.

Have no idea as I have never seen the manifold. I would suspect that shims may play an important part, the same as it does with a header.

Bill

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
More performance...

Bill I love your "Get it done" attitude! If you had been with the Skipper and Gilligan, they would have been home in a week!

65beam

Donation Time
more performance

we took a series 4 intake,cut the mounting flange off and cut a wedge out of the tubes and welded the flange back on ,making the manifold flat to handle the weber . simple enough ,right ! only problem is that i didn't measure enough . cut a hole in the hood if you want to use the weber with a K&N air filter. you can't close the hood ! these cars are entirely different from an alpine so think before you try to use some of the more common alpine mods . ever wonder why they installed the 1725 on a slant ?

65beam

Donation Time
fastback

rootes racer,
my wife mentioned putting a chrysler slant 6 under the hood more than once. i gave her some long hard stares . i won that battle .

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
With enough time, money, and effort, anything can be done. I saw a bug eyed Sprite with a 225 slant six in it. I wouldn´t have believed it if I hadn´t seen it with my own eyes. I have also seen pictures in Hot Rod, (I think it was), of a Bug Eyed Sprite with a Chrysler Hemi in it, so anything can be done.

Jose

Actually the 225 it a pretty darn good motor.

You'd never fit it in the alpine bay though.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Right! I wouldn´t mess with a slant six, when I could have had a V8. The guy that put the 225 into the Sprite, did it though.

Jose

But of course if you spent that kind of money to butcher the firewall, you wouldnt be messin with a slant 6.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Holbay intake and exhaust manifolds

Jeff,

I have an intake manifold for a twin weber 40DCOE set up and a tubular four-branch exhaust manifolds from a Holbay engined Rapier H120. These will fit your Alpine without modification (if you fit an aluminium head and suitable camshaft).

I was planning to cut and modify them to fit my Holbay powered SIV (a work in progress at the moment). However, I've discovered this will be more involved than I first thought. I'm now on the lookout for a suitable 'goose neck' intake for my webers. (Jay Laifman I have sent you a PM)

I am willing to sell/exchange some of my Holbay spares to buy/acquire suitable intake and exhaust manifolds to fit the SIV. I guess my point is, don't cut up any intake/headers for a series Alpine if we could do a swap instead.

Cheers,
Stuart

P.S. Joining the SROC is a must and for what it's worth I'm happy to give any advice/help I can on fastback matters

alpinefastback

Donation Time
Jeff,
I am willing to sell/exchange some of my Holbay spares to buy/acquire suitable intake and exhaust manifolds to fit the SIV. I guess my point is, don't cut up any intake/headers for a series Alpine if we could do a swap instead.
P.S. Joining the SROC is a must and for what it's worth I'm happy to give any advice/help I can on fastback matters

Stuart,

Thanks for the offer.
I've decided that I'm going to leave the drivetrain stock for the time being and when funds and time allow swap in a Mazda Miata engine/trans.
I guess I've fallen to the dark side.

I finally got car registered after a month of dealing with the NJ DMV.
I was waiting to join the SROC so I could include my registration number on my application.
So I'll be sending my membership application today.

And thanks also for the offer with advice about the fastbacks.
Do you currently own a fastback? I see you have one for your avatar.

Jeff

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
No worries Jeff, good luck with the swap, it'll be a lot of fun. The only problem I can forsee is with the steering. It's not the most compact or elegant set up, you may end up fitting rack and pinion.

Both my Dad and I have fastback Rapier H120's and I also have a Hillman Hunter GLS (Holbay powered) rally car project back home in Scotland.
I am currently building a Holbay powered SIV to use here in sunny CA

In response to your earlier post, I have 6" x 14" superlite wheels fitted to my H120, they fit perfectly with no mods (185/60 x 14 tyres). I'm very happy with them.

alpinefastback

Donation Time
Stuart,

Thanks for the reply.
This wouldn't happen to be your H120?
I scoured the internet looking for pics of the fastbacks and this is one of my favorites.

h120.jpg