• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Moisture spraying out exhaust on warm up

F

FrankenPine

Upon starting (fires right up) I'm getting a spray(droplets) of moisture out of the tail pipe while warming up, it doesn't smell like fuel or coolant. It's got a stainless steel exhaust system, 1725 engine, runs great. I've got no oil in the water or water in the oil, is this just condensation or do I need to look further?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks, Fred

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
It's just normal condensation that forms when the exhaust pipes cool. When you first start it up, the exhaust gases push out the water that condensed after the last time you ran it.

Jose:)

Nickodell

Donation Time
Fred: Every gallon of gas burned makes about a gallon of water vapor. You normally don't see any evidence of this because it is invisible, but, as Rick says, it condenses in the exhaust system until that warms up.

The so-called "vapor trails" behind high-flying jets is not vapor at all, but ice crystals from the water vapor instantly freezing at altitude. If you are on a big jet some time cruising at 30,000 ft and up, go to the back and look at the engine exhausts. The first few feet to the rear of the exhaust is clear, then the white begins as the vapor freezes.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
tail pipe water

It's just normal condensation that forms when the exhaust pipes cool. When you first start it up, the exhaust gases push out the water that condensed after the last time you ran it.

Jose:)

I had a friend(gone now) he used to have a grease zerk in the exaust pipe just before the muffler.. He claimed it helped prevent water from damaging the muffler and tail pipe...

???
Chuck

Nickodell

Donation Time
Back in my dissolute college days the trick was to drill a hole in the tailpipe and insert a spark plug with its own coil, connected to the LT side of the distributor. Then, to impress the girls, you would turn the engine over for a few seconds with the ignition off (the starter on our old jalopies was always a separate control) and then, at the appropriate moment, turn on the ignition and floor it. If you timed it right you would get a 5' or longer flame out the back, complete with impressive BANG, as you roared away. It was even more effective at night; rather like a rocket-assisted takeoff.

Of course, the old fuddy-duddies in the faculty issued a ban on this after a few weeks.