• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Minxrod brakes

Hotrodhillman

Donation Time
Minxrod (1961 Hillman Minx) has relatively tight original suspension and steering. I am a cautious driver and generally follow the speed limit. Brakes are okay in town, but, in a hard stop from 65mph they FADE! I think the brakes have original shoes and drums and show no evidence of being turned. They are 10” by 1.75”. Switching to disc brakes is not trivial. Is there a company that will turn the drums, and re-line and arc my shoes, with modern material? Is there a larger front drum brake that will bolt on? Minxrod uses a kingpin mounted spindle, perhaps like the early Alpine.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I thought you are switching to the later style front end?

The rapiers which share the same body as yours switched to front discs in 1959.. And alpine front disc setup will work on your car as would a later model minx disx front end.

Adding a servo will help with creating more pedal pressure for you, but not help with the fade issue.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I used to have a 59 Minx. A local shop turned the drums and relined the shoes, but that was about 15 years ago. They still weren't great but I never tried them in a hard stop from 65 mph. Why not, it wouldn't go that fast (or at least it was above my comfort level for cruising).

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
What components would I have to replace to have the Alpine disc brakes?
Hi, I recently installed alpine discs on my 57 Rapier. (I believe it's the same as minx) I used a complete series 4 brake system using the alpine spindle out. You will also need to use the Alpine tie rod end at the outside and the minx at the inside as the they have different pin diameters. Did not use a booster. Very happy with the brakes. You will need to adjust the toe setting. The only negative is that the wheel track is increased approx 1.25" per side. The stock wheels will still be under the fenders but be wider than the rear. I used ford fiesta wheels on mine and switched to a wider tire and used a 1.5" spacer on back to make everything match.