• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mechanical tach on a 1725, how hard can it be?

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
I have dropped the 1725 from the parts car into my SI as a short term solution, but of course the tach cable is left hanging in the engine compartment with nothing to connect to. I have a spare distributor and stand with take-off from the 1498, but before I start tearing into it, can someone tell me if this is even possible. I would rather not switch to a later tach if possible.

johnd

Donation Time
My SII car came with a 1725 engine and the original SII mechanical tach. In order it get it to work the PO had to lengthen (slightly - about 1/4") the oil pump drive shaft. This setup will not work with an unmodified 1725 oil pump (which are the only pumps currently available on the market).