• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Maybe a dumb question, blowing V6 fuel lines?

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I tried to start my Cologne V6 Alpine today for the first time in about 4 years. I've neglected it for a variety of reasons but just want it to run enough to drive it on and off my trailer to bring it home to work on it. After a new battery, the fuel punp clicked away but no fuel appeared in the clear filter.
I'm planning to go back tomorrow with a bit of gas (just in case it's out) and an air tank. The car has an aftermarket electric fuel pump. Will I destroy the pump by blowing air from the filter (located in the engine bay) to unplug the lines. I don't care if I do, as long as the punp works well enough to drive the car onto and off the trailer.

Any thoughts?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
There will be check valve in the pump that will keep you from blowing back through it. You will have to take the line loose from the pump discharge.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you have a carburator you can fill the bowl through the vent tube on top of the carb. Use a syringe or a squirt oil can with gas and filled it thru the top tube. Had a fuel pump failure (electric) same as you. Got it going enough to run a couple of minutes.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a problem with my 73 mustang that sat a while. It ended up being the nipple on the fuel pickup, where the fuel line connects to the tank. It had corroded completely shut. Of course I didn’t find this until after I replaced the fuel pump on the 351 Cleveland.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Turned out to be an easy fix, just add a couple of quarts of gas and it fired right up.

Now carb leaking onto manifold, not sure from where but the front. It's a Holley 8007. Rebuild time, I guess.