• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Making a Alpine spare engine from a Minx IIIB 1494 cc engine

Sunbeam-Chile

Donation Time
Hi to everybody, I put my question in a separate thread...

Recently I buy a complete Hillman Minx IIIB engine (1494 cc)... and I want to make a spare engine for my Alpine...
I have the following Alpine spare parts:
- a complete 1592 cc cylinder head with valve cover.
- one Alpine camshaft
- one Alpine engine front plate mount
- and a set of 1592 cc pistons with connecting rods.

I attach a file with a component substitution guide for Alpines, that was uploaded before in this site...

My plan is remove the iron head from Minx engine and put the Alpine aluminium head, put the Alpine camshaft and Alpine front mount plate... but like hillman engine is 1494cc, can I just put the 1592cc cylinder head? or I need to increase the bore, and use the Alpine pistons?
Can make a spare engine with that? or need anything else?
Regards, Pablo.

Attachments

• Alpine_parts_sub_guide.zip
    16.4 KB · Views: 10

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The 1494 has a very weak bottom end (it will throw a rod). I would start with a series II engine.
Jan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Chile,

"copied my response from the other thread to here".

The alloy head will fit your Minx motor but be aware that many engine internals and externals for the Minx iron head motors are incompatible with the alpine alloy head configuration.

There is a difference in the pistons, the camshaft is very different as the valve port positions are different, as are the intake and exhaust manifolds.

You will need a great many alpine specific parts for a changeover to take a 1494 minx to a 1494 alpine.