• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Made it home - Thanks to All

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Made it home from Invasion X - almost 900 miles round trip, with about 200 of those covered were during the Invasion! I really enjoyed the mountain drive on Friday, taking us up to a great restaurant at the top of Mt. Mitchell. Enjoyed keeping up with George Coleman and others around the twisty bends. If your car's steering and brakes weren't up to snuff this could have been one nervous drive.

Many thanks to all the organizers who did a fabulous job. Another great Invasion in the books with many memories. Already looking forward to next year in Minneapolis. Jack, what are the dates?

Really only had one mishap the entire trip - the little hose between the thermostat housing and water pump burst, spewing hot antifreeze over everything in the engine bay. But, a quick fix on the side of the road with a length of fresh hose, and a topping off of the radiator, and I was back on the road within the hour. Drove through pouring rain for the last 3 hours of today's trip home, but otherwise fine.

Like others have said before, you don't have to have a pristine Alpine to attend. You don't have to have an Alpine at all to attend! We had some folks experience their first Invasion this year and I know they had a great time. Make plans now to attend next year's event.

63alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks to you Scott, and Eric, Todd, Sam, Bob, Tom, George, wives, and the whole team for organizing such an enjoyable event. We enjoyed meeting everyone and made it home safely (305 mile round trip) with no incidents.

We ran into some light showers coming home and the wipers would not turn off without killing the ignition and bump starting the engine at 65 mph but no biggie.

We hope to see everyone again soon.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Kathy and I just walked in the door. Our drive was challenging, as it took several detours and a little backtracking to find a northwest passage through Nashville. The city is basically shut down due to flooding. As of noon-ish today (we left the hotel around 7), I believe all highways were shut down at least someplace. Those who are still hanging around Hendersonville and heading northwest tomorrow should check carefully before leaving.

We also hit considerable rain from around 11-3:00. I have to say: I was very happy to be towing the Alpine this time!

I want to add my complements to the GA/NC/SC crew who put this one on. The location was terrific and the drives were even better. We may not have an all-night engine swap to live in club folklore, but this was certainly a great Invasion.

Minneapolis '11 or Bust!

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Home safely after 1000 miles 13 hours straight through. Thanks to Erik and everyone for a memorable event.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We just got home. The trip was almost uneventful, a nasty little go around with 3 hours of rain, wipers falling apart, Ed's delay unit and Rainex.

Was very glad to see the DuraPine could keep up with the 1725's. Changed the tune for the trip home and picked up 4 mpg.

A great Invasion. The Southern boys can stand tall on this one.

Bill

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Also made it home safely. Good weather cool and brisk with isolated showers to drive through, not enough to put up the top.

Thanks to the organizers and to the folks who attended for such a fine event.

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
good time I made it home in under 2 hours after a detour to family in Greer Eric Todd and all great Show

Stephen (Smity)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Although not attending with an Alpine, we still had a great time. Met a bunch of nice folks and got a good bit of info. After PM'ing Jose and Jim Ellis over the past few years for info and advice, it was good to finally grip and grin in person. The show site was great with the mountains all around. Although getting there in the RV was a bit hairy. Got home in the RV after about 8 hours of driving, not counting gas, food, and dog stops. Hopefully if the 2012 is held in Florida, Lu and I will be there in the V6 conversion.

Had a blast. Great lunch and dinner. Kudos to the organizers.

Mike.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am glad you made it to the Invasion Mike. Can you post some of the photos taken from the roof of your RV during the car show on Saturday? I would like to see them! Eric

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Would you believe that the thought never occurred to me to do that with my own camera. I believe that I took those pictures for Todd?:confused:
I'm really bad with names.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Home safely @ about 6:30 pm. We hit rain & fog (low clouds) from about 5 miles out of Hendersonville to almost the Georgia state line, but wasn't bad driving. Did about 30 miles on I-85 then down to Athens when the Harmonic Balancer came apart on the Series IV. Thought about taking the Judy's Series II off the trailer and loading up the Series IV, but then thought, "we have been paying AAA for many years and only got a bunch of maps, so why not use the 100 mile tow, it's sort of free." After a 2 hour rest we got the Red car loaded on the flatbed tow truck and off to home with a nice ride in the cool AC pickup. When the tow truck got to the house, we had the Series II off loaded and they put the Series IV right on the trailer and ready for the trip to the mechanic after the rain tomorrow.
Yes, I agree what a great Invasion, the drives, the venue, boat ride (nap), all the wonderful old and new friends, fellowship, food, parts exchange, and etc... Looking forward to Minneapolis in 2011,
BRING IT ON JACK and crew!!!:D

Anyone have a good Harmonic Balancer???

sd_pace

Donation Time
Made it back without incident... had a great time... thanks to the crew for a perfect invasion....saw some of the video and have some great shots...will be editing for a while....will post when I get it together..
steve

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Mike, Yep, that was me that you took those pictures for off the top of your motor home. When I get home tonight I will download all of my pictures and send them to Andrew along with posting a few on the forum. I got a few really good pictures of a couple of cars at the show that the owners will want. I'll send them to the owners since I have their email address.

Kudos to Eric and Bonnie for their vision of this Invasion. It all starts with a vision on what you want to get accomplished. Kudos to George and Beverly for coordinating the run up the mountain. He put a lot of work behind the scenes to make that a good ride for everyone. Tom Johnson is a champ! Everytime I started something you were right there giving me a hand - Thanks!! Mother nature held off, the food was great, beer was cold and new friends made each day. What a great weekend! I have POST INVASION DEPRESSION TODAY! lol

Cheers,

mikephillips

Donation Time
Bob, there's been posts about an american company making new cast iron balancers to original specs. I'd do that anymore rather than relying on a used original since it's too easy for them to be already cracked or fatigued. don't forget to remove the timing cover and clean it out, there's going to be broken bits in there if the shaft over the crank snout broke up.

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Bob,
I installed one of the ductile iron balancers on my SV. Have already put 2400 miles on the past couple months. Great value. $275 ish.

Jim