• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lucas Distributor Advance Question

racerguy99

Donation Time
Series II. Stock motor. While I had the dist cap off the other day, I found that the rotor did not "spring back" to zero advance. There are several degrees to which it would flop back to, rarely the same spot, never to zero. I took the dist out for a look-see. Both advance weights are free but the springs appear to be the same, and actually loose on the pins. I thought Lucas made these with one primary (weaker) and one secondary (for control at higher R's). Since these are both loose, there is nothing to pull the breaker plate back to zero. I ordered a set of (universal?) springs from Moss, to at least put a weak one on as primary to pull the advance back to zero.

Am I thinking right?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yeah, you are probably OK.

The springs effect the rate at which the advance functions, not the max advance timing which is set by a mechanical stop.

The correct springs will cause the mech advance to follow the figures in the WSM.
I do not think though that there is a weaker and a stronger spring (or at least that there shouldnt be) installed at the same time.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
racerguy99,

Don't think it matters. The distributor is a dynamic system. Your zero point will be where spring tension ends. The weights will not return to a point beyond the end of spring tension.

I guess what will matter is if your distributor is worn, or if you care to take advantage of the additional possible advance and/or change your existing advance curve.

HTH

racerguy99

Donation Time
racerguy99,

Your zero point will be where spring tension ends. The weights will not return to a point beyond the end of spring tension. HTH

Thanks. Once these springs arrive, I think I will put the weakest spring in, as primary, to pull it back to "zero" consistently.

Does anyone have an original, unmolested dist, to compare? Having two heavy springs (now) would send/delay the advance curve way up in R's. The advance cam is marked 10, and I have no way of knowing if the SPO ground that down to give it more total advance. It's not a race car, so I see no need yet to put it on a dist machine or dyno.

racerguy99

Donation Time
Spring kit came from Moss. It had five springs in the kit. Three were HUGE, compared to what was in there. Put the smallest one in and left the "loose" one as secondary. She idles a bit better now, maybe... At least the rotor now pops back to "zero" when released.