• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lotus 1.6 or 2liter ??????

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I know they're not cheap but they are very tunable, light and there is lots of parts avaialbility??????

Just a thought

Eric

'62 SerII

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I know they're not cheap but they are very tunable, light and there is lots of parts avaialbility??????

Just a thought

Eric

'62 SerII
You have just mentioned why this engine isn't being used into the Alpine. Cost! Most guys don't have the money to even buy one, much less all the parts it would take to convert the Alpine to it. Bellhousing, clutch, transmission, and so on.

Jose

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
In a Sunbeam Lotus the engine takes up an awful lot of the engine bay. I don't think it would fit in an Alpine, at least without major surgery.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Price bearings for the lotus engine...

Ah come on, it costs less to build any lotus 4 than an alpine.

The 1.6 is just a ford kent engine with a lotus head, the 2.0,2.1 and 2.2 is based on a Vauxhall engine, and uses relatively common bearings.

Just dont buy your parts from Dave Bean.

I have a buddy with a fresh 0 mile 2.2 turbo injected lotus/jensen engine if anyone is interested.

JonPiz

Donation Time
If I remember from my friends Lotus and also a Jensen Healey, the engines are designed to fit in the engine bay at an angle so the webers fit so if you want it upright its new manifolds etc. I wouldnt bother tuning the ford 1.6, may as well do the alpine engine

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
lotus twin cam

You know this brings to mind another twin cam tha's already in a small sports car. I've been toying with the idea of checking whether a Mazda Miata engine and trans will fit the Alpine. I saw a MGB conversion at Carlisle last year and it looked pretty good under the hood. You'd probably have to run a computer with it but it just might fit. I know that the exhaust & intake are on different sides of the head, depending on what year Miata you use, so maybe there wouldn't be the steering clearance problems.
Anyone else considered this?
Cheers!
Steve:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you are speaking of the Miata 2.0, the answer is yes. I considered it, but the engine has a lot of computer controls built into it, much more than fuel and spark. So I got its big brother, the Ranger 2.3. Not as much hp, but a lot simpler computer requirements. Still looking for a trans, though. I suppose the Miata would be fine behind the Ranger.

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
If you are speaking of the Miata 2.0, the answer is yes. I considered it, but the engine has a lot of computer controls built into it, much more than fuel and spark. So I got its big brother, the Ranger 2.3. Not as much hp, but a lot simpler computer requirements. Still looking for a trans, though. I suppose the Miata would be fine behind the Ranger.

Bill
I think the Miata transmission would work well, as far as ratios, but I don't know if it would be able to handle the tourque of your turboed 2.3.

Jose:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No Jose, I'm talking about my NA 2.3 DOHC Duratec. My next project, after the the 2.0 turbo is on the road. This would go into my parts car, Rusty. If it works out, it would find it's way into the good body. 145 hp with less weight (at least no more) than the 1725.

Bill