• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Looking for help in MD

webineer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hello everyone,
I am brand new to the forum and I just purchased a 1967 Alpine which will be delivered next week. I don't know much about these cars other than I love the style and can't wait to get in and drive it.
The reason for my post is to ask you all if you are aware of any shops in the Maryland area who work on and or modify these cars. My overall goal is to do what it takes to make this car a super dependable sports car to drive around the east coast to shows and such.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Paul

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Living in UK, I cannot be of any help to you but what you will find on the SAOCA website is unlimited expert knowledge and experience of these cars from a very friendly group of people. Congratulations on your purchase and I am sure that the car will be a real source of pleasure to you.

webineer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Tony for your reply.
One question for you, in general have you found these sunbeams to be capable of day trips without breaking down? I hope to be able to drive mine a lot and I hate being stuck on the side of the road. My car has had the points converted to electronic, an external fan to help overheating and I think thats it.
I will post some pics when it arrives.
Paul

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, the Alpine engine is a dependable piece. Most modifications are done because the original equipment has become problematic due to age.

When the cooling system is is good shape, there is no need for additional fans. In very hot (say high 90's) weather and heavy traffic, they do become marginal. The stock ignition, when is good shape, is very capable. Like all systems of the era, they need frequent attention to give optimum performance, but are very dependable.

In short, a stock Alpine in good condition will fulfill your needs.

Bill

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Paul, to answer your question, Alpines are probably no more nor less reliable than any other old British cars. They are basically quite simple and their reliability is dependent to a great extent on being properly serviced. The early cars are now over 50 years old and the anticipated problems are likely to be electrical in nature. Check out the wiring, all electrical grounds and consider changing the starter and solenoid, generator, and fit a good quality battery. Flush the cooling system and do a compression test on the engine,change all hoses and belts, oil and filter and replace the diaphragm on the AC fuel pump if still fitted. Buy a Workshop and Parts Manual. Buy a tow-rope and find a friend with a trailer. Good luck!

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I will add that I have owned my Alpine for 35 years or so. When I used to thrash it around in high school, hydraulics would go out from time to time. But I suspect some of that was the quality of the rebuilder (me). I had some electrical problems - but EVERY ONE of those were from stupid things I did, like adding radios and extra gauges, etc. Since my driving has mellowed and I've cleaned up the wiring, I've had no reliability issues.

webineer

Bronze Level Sponsor
I appreciate all the feedback, i have to say I'm feeling a lot more comfortable after hearing from each of you. Bottom line, take care of the car and the car will take care of you!
I will take all your good advice and hope to see you at a rally at some point.
Regards,
Paul

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Paul, there is a shop in Hyattsville, I've used, when I couldn't do the repair myself. They were able to diagnose a problem I'd been having that no one else could figure out. They don't specialize in Alpines but I would recommend them. Mount Joy Auto Shop. If you by chance live in the Columbia area I also have a "backyard" paint and body guy that does excellent work w/low cost. Might not be fast but very good. Hope to see you at some shows and get togethers.
Ron

webineer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Paul, there is a shop in Hyattsville, I've used, when I couldn't do the repair myself. They were able to diagnose a problem I'd been having that no one else could figure out. They don't specialize in Alpines but I would recommend them. Mount Joy Auto Shop. If you by chance live in the Columbia area I also have a "backyard" paint and body guy that does excellent work w/low cost. Might not be fast but very good. Hope to see you at some shows and get togethers.
Ron

Ron,
Thanks for your input, this will come in very handy. I get my car delivered next week and although it is in excellent condition I want to be prepared in the event it needs some tweeking.
I live in clarksville so I hop to see you at some of the local meets. Please keep me in mind if you hear of a show in our local area that you plan to attend and I will try to catch up.
Many Thanks,
Paul

mikephillips

Donation Time
A lot of it depends on the overall condition of the mechanicals you're starting with. An Alpine will run quite well even when getting tired, so make sure that whomever you find does a detailed check of the engine and driveline, wheels bearings and hubs particularly if it has wire wheels, and a good look at the wiring. As mentioned, the last cars rolled off the line in 67 so the youngest Alpines are nearly 50 years old and they weren't designed to last forever, so you may find things that have reached the end of their lifespan.

That being said, they can be reliable cars to drive longer distances. They will require more frequent servicing, checking oil, coolant, greasing, etc that a modern car, but nothing unusual for the manufacturing time period.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Don't forget the tires!

Tire rubber deteriorates with age, so if the ones on your new 'pine are more than about 10 years old - less if they've stood in the sun and/or in a hot, dry environment - you should replace them for your safety and that of your passengers. I only manage about 1,300 miles a year in my SV, which is garaged, so three years ago the tires looked fresh, had about 16,000 miles on them and you could bury a depth gauge in the tread. But they were manufactured in 1999 so they were replaced.

Apologies to old-time forum members, who have heard this anecdote once or twice. Ken W. Purdy, one of the country's longest-lasting automobile writers had a friend who had brought a classic 1938 BMW328 back with him after USAF service in Germany in 1953. When he was invited to come fro a run, Purdy said "Continental doesn't make that size tire any more. Are they the originals?"

"Yes, but they've been off the rims and examined. I've got new Dunlops on order."

"Good. Let me know when they're fitted. As it is, I won't even sit in it."

Incidentally, when you buy new tires, check the manufacturing date before the dealer installs them. There's nothing to stop them selling you some that have been in store for a couple of years or more. How to tell the manufacturing date:

Tirecodes_zps67defd6c.jpg

webineer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great advice, thanks!
i am fortunate in that the tires and wheels are less than a year old on this car. I do plan to take the car to a shop in my area that specializes in British cars to have the whole thing gone over for safety sake.
Thanks again,
Paul

webineer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ron

Ron,
I contacted William at Mt Joy and we are going to give the car a full physical in about 2 weeks. Thanks for the tip on Mt Joy!
I will post some pics once we get results from the shop, hopefully a clean bill of health