• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Long distance award

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don, we followed the basic route you have shown above, except from Memphis, TN to Jackson, TN where my friend lived, because he was headed to a different AFB. I tried to rest up as much as I could before dropping him off, then I drove south thru Birmingham on the Charleston AFB.

I got behind a tractor trailer a couple times for some fast traveling. Staying awake was my biggest concern the last few miles. Played the radio loudly, had the windows down lots of time. We did not have Cell phones or GPS back then, you had to be alert for road signs at all times.

I'll dig out the orders I travelled on if I can find them.... man this brings back some strange yet happy memories.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
I won the long-distance award a few years back when the 'United' was in St. Michaels, Maryland. Roughly 1300 miles from Nova Scotia. It was great to receive the recognition for the work put in to actually drive an old car that many miles. Compared to new cars it is a real effort to drive that distance. Road noise, wind noise, engine noise, heater stuck on, no cruise control, no A/C, no PS or PB, seat adjustment forward and back only, but my god it was fun! Basically no mechanical issues to deal with the whole trip. Would I do it again? Sure I would, but would spend 2 nights and 3 days on the road vs 1 night and 2 days. I'm over 70 years now and don't deal with the long driving days like I did at one time.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
In the seventies, I lived in or around Gainesville, Florida. The local racing scene included SCCA 's Rick Cline, in his....TR-GT250? Rick was formerly a machinist in the USN, and maybe the best mechanic I knew. He was also a top-tier driver, a very smooth, consistent, winning driver. He teamed up with a guy named Jack May and raced a Ferrari Dino in the 1975 "Cannonball Baker Sea-to-shining-sea-annual-trophy-dash". THEY WON! It is chronicled here: http://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,913040,00.html
https://www.cannonballdino.com/cannonball

Last edited: