• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Long distance award

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just wanted to post kudos to the couple who I believe drove their Sunbeam the farthest to come to Columbia. Bill Blue and his wife drove 576 miles in their 1969 Alpine. And it looked beautiful too after the trip! Great effort. Any other long distance drives in a 50+ year old car? I was happy to do 90 miles. Again, fantastic weekend. David

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill & Barb Blue drove “Judy” to SUNI last September also. They do have the Sunbeam driving experience which I commend also. Their 69 Alpine is very road worthy especially coming across the mountains via interstate in some areas!-Al

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
And I loaded them up with a couple heavy transmissions and bellhousings for the trip back over the mountains Tuesday morning. They had to climb the seven (7) mile Saluda Grade.... Man-O-Man what a climb, DanR

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We also drove the Orange Alpine to the Western Invasion, then on to Napa Valley. During the thirteen? years we drove it, 113,000 miles, a lot of it being trips of greater than 1,000 miles.

Bill

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Really enjoyed looking over the white fastback in the parking lot. Zero doubt that belonged to Bill B. Was SO tempted to try the doors to see if they were unlocked! Long shifter on that thing. Looked like A/C also. Broke my arm (first broken bone ever) about an hour after leaving the hotel. Should have just chilled and spent the day meeting the most unique people in the world. Still haven't quite gotten used to learning that Jim E is no longer with us. It all goes so quickly. Toronto doesn't seem so far away.

o

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Good to see you again John and sorry about your arm! I did try to talk you into staying with us longer though......

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Really enjoyed looking over the white fastback in the parking lot. Zero doubt that belonged to Bill B. Was SO tempted to try the doors to see if they were unlocked! Long shifter on that thing. Looked like A/C also. Broke my arm (first broken bone ever) about an hour after leaving the hotel. Should have just chilled and spent the day meeting the most unique people in the world. Still haven't quite gotten used to learning that Jim E is no longer with us. It all goes so quickly. Toronto doesn't seem so far away.

o
John, the long shifter is one of my tweaks. We were both surprised/annoyed at how far forward the shifter is, especially when going into first. So I made the extension. Solved that problem, but created another. I also made a cup holder that sits behind the shifter. The extended knob gets in the way of large drink cups. The solution to all this would be to move the shifter back a couple of inches. Not likely to happen. BTW, the doors are never locked. No A/C.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was totally surprised to look up and see John W standing there before me....Great to see you again.

Sorry to hear you broke an arm! How did that happen? Hope you heal quickly. Please come by some time.

DanR

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think Toronto is about 1300-1400 miles from Waldo, but the route for an Alpine is best off the beaten track. Also, total mileage per day is low, in bad conditions we have made as little as 250....350 is pretty fair. And, the next day, you gotta do it again. Most miles in one day was 850+, from Ian's place near Tippecanoe to Waldo... Ralph and I drove that together in about twenty hours.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think Toronto is about 1300-1400 miles from Waldo, but the route for an Alpine is best off the beaten track. Also, total mileage per day is low, in bad conditions we have made as little as 250....350 is pretty fair. And, the next day, you gotta do it again. Most miles in one day was 850+, from Ian's place near Tippecanoe to Waldo... Ralph and I drove that together in about twenty hours.
That is simply crazy. Our biggest day was about half that, driving from the Winona Invasion to home. That is a big day in an Alpine. Generally, when we have 300 miles in for a day, we feel entitled to stop whenever/wherever we please.
Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What was Shannon's age at that time? Young folks do young things:)

Us Olde Folks think different because we are older now:)

A friend and I drove my 409 powered '58 Impala from Amarillo, Texas to Charleston, SC in 21 hrs and 45 minutes back in 1962. Had to report in for the Cuban Missile crisis. Broke all the speed limits along the way, stopping only for fuel and food.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
Forty-six, good age for driving....no sunburn risk to crown of head, no prostate issues! That Cuban crisis drive was a good one, no interstates to speak of, 24-hour gas hard to find....I am thinking excellent motor for it-(big block vehicles had lower rear-end ratios)

A friend and I drove my 409 powered '58 Impala from Amarillo, Texas to Charleston, SC in 21 hrs and 45 minutes back in 1962. Had to report in for the Cuban Missile crisis. Broke all the speed limits along the way, stopping only for fuel and food.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor

Before the youngsters jump to conclusions about "only" averaging 65 MPH, 1962 was still a two-lane world. Interstate highways were 10 years in the future and even four-lane highways were scarce. On the up side, gas stations still had attendants to check the oil, clean the windsheild and pump your "ethyl" gasoline for 30 cents a gallon.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Before the youngsters jump to conclusions about "only" averaging 65 MPH, 1962 was still a two-lane world. Interstate highways were 10 years in the future and even four-lane highways were scarce. On the up side, gas stations still had attendants to check the oil, clean the windshield and pump your "ethyl" gasoline for 30 cents a gallon.

Impressive in today's world of interstates, as well, if you think about it.

upload_2022-4-10_13-21-51.png