• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Lets talk rotary swap...

norville

Donation Time
The yard near me has a 12a? N/A and 5speed for $500. It's a given that the rotary should be rebuilt with new seals. I stared long and hard at that one. Junk yard locally sell them cheaply cause "they don't got pistons"

Was there ever a write-up on the rotary? Lots of tech forums on wankels.

bob

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Rotaries can be real nice motors but one thing to keep in mind is that the gen II mazda rotary seldom get 100K miles before the apex seals are worn out.

An engine with that many miles doesnt have long to live, and rebuilding a rotary costs cubic dollars compared to a piston motor.

If the price is right and you are shooting to get the engine installed and operating while a better motor comes along that would be fine, but at the price point of the ebay motor, you would be pretty far into that motor for the $$$.

Jim E

Donation Time
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZD...cks?hash=item2a00a5801e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
Maybe something like this would make a better donor.

I know very little about the rotarys, can you low buck rebuild one with the two piece apex seals? They say this one is at what 65k miles, 30k more might be ok if it would last that many more miles.

Wonder about the size of the package with all the turbo stuff and how it would fit the space, whether or not you could get the ECU to run it or if you would want to.

There have been a couple rotary conversions, the best known might be Tiger Tom's Fastback. Believe there is at least one person on here working on one or perhaps driving at this point. From what I recall getting them bolted in place is not a big deal but seems the exhaust on these is real hot and eats typical mufflers. Have not seen any documentation on a conversion.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The stock ECU shouldnt be a big problem provided the harness isnt butchered.

Some aftermarket ECUs can successfully run a rotary, you do want to make sure that the ECU supports leading and trailing spark, since the two plugs are intended to fire at different time for peak power and detonation prevention.

Rotaries give a bit of warning before the seals are kaput, they start to smoke like bad rings do. Rotaries are designed to burn some oil as they have an oil injection system built in.

As for low buck rebuild?
I dont think there is such a thing.

Shadetree maybe.

norville

Donation Time
Rotary folks seem to talk about it like it;s no big deal, but this all arm chair QB for me....The RX's look to have a ton of room left under the hood. I did also hear heat and exhaust are an issue. I wonder what kinda HP's a non-turbo motor makes?

What kind of trans is behind it??? :)

bob

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Rotary folks seem to talk about it like it;s no big deal, but this all arm chair QB for me....The RX's look to have a ton of room left under the hood. I did also hear heat and exhaust are an issue. I wonder what kinda HP's a non-turbo motor makes?

What kind of trans is behind it??? :)

bob

A N/A mazda 13B puts out about 150bhp.

Its like a 2.6 liter 6 cyl in terms of effective smoothness and horsepower.
A tad lower on torque, but lots of revs available.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Neat motors. I have rebuilt a few and they are high $ units. The one my son had in his III gen car he had $12000.00 in the rebuild and it dyno out at allmost 500 HP not bad for a 1.8 liter displacment. There are alot of tricks you can do to them, but you have to find a person that knows how to work on them. The first Gen cars and trucks had Carbs. on them and a distb. and easier to work on.:D

bobw

Donation Time
A number of issues related to the rotary engine have been raised in this thread. Having installed my 13B in two vehicles, I have some experience with this engine and it's unique characteristics. Here is a lits of the main ones as I have gleaned them from the thread

1. Expensive
2. Expensive to overhaul
3. Power produced
4. Split timing
5. Exhaust issues
6. Apex seal wear
7. Hard to work on

So hear we go:

Issue 1: Expensive
There were a couple of examples in the thread of engines available. $500 from a junk yard with transmission, and $1200 JDM engine on ebay with transmission and electronics. I purchased my engine from Bruce Turrentine in South Carolina for $4950. It included several modifications, including a mild street port, removal of the oil filter boss (for use with a remote filter), and lightweight 9:7:1 compression rotors. This engine was installed in an airplane and flown until I wrecked the plane (another story). So is this expensive? I just checked Ebay for Ford V6 engines Buy it now prices. They range from $165 to $2695. The high end one is a "High Performance Ford 3.8 Mustang 4.3 V6 Stroker Engine". The same search for rotary engine has a price range of $4500 to $1350. So my conclusion is yes there is a cost penalty of maybe 2:1 and/or you may have to be a little more careful shopping around for a good deal. BTW, compared to a typical aircraft engine like a Lycoming or Continental, under $5K is a super bargain. The plane wreck had nothing to do with the engine either. It was my piloting skills. :(

Issue 2: Expensive to overhaul:
One example of a rotary rebuild was mentioned at $12000, but that was for an engine that produced almost 3X it's stock power. Let's look at some real world numbers. You've picked up a rotary engine at the junk yard, and take it apart. First if the rotor housing are bad, then you are looking at about 1K for both housings if you have to buy them new. There is alway the option of scrounging around for good used ones. Even more money if the center or end housing and/or the rotors are bad. But let's just assume you need a basic overhaul. New apex seals, and set of 'O'-rings. I know of a source for the complete 'O' ring kit for $163, and another $70 or so for the gaskets needed. A set of Apex seals and springs can be had for $225. So total cost for the rebuild will be $163+$70+225 = $458. A few other items are needed such as sealant, etc. So make it $500. Quite a bit less than $12000! Those parts are available from http://www.rotaryaviation.com/ That's also where I purchased my ECU and Engine monitor (EC2 and EM2).

Issue 3: Power produced
Some of the early 13B's were rated at 140 HP. It's pretty easy to pump up the power to 180 -200 HP with minor modifications. Various levels of "porting" from "mild street" to a "bridge" port. The bridge port is very aggressive and to my understanding not a good idea on a street car. Bruce rated my engine at 193 HP at 6000 rpm with the mild street port and 9.7:1 rotors. But a lot depends on the intake and exhaust tuning as well. Rotaries tune a lot like a two stroke engine. Intake and exhaust lengths can make a lot of difference. With the setup I have now the intake is probably tuned to something like 9000 rpm, which means I will never see that peak. My ECU has a 7500 RPM cut out. 9000 isn't practical in an aircraft application. now the thing is, it's possible to boost a rotary to incredible power levels. If you haven't seen it, here is a video of a 4 rotor engine turning 1664 HP on a dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BGGBU2Lpyo. That's only 800 HP for a 2 rotor. :)

Issue 4: Split timing
This has been brought up before. It's my understanding that the split timing is used to reduce HC emissions. It's not a big contributor to power production. I have the ability to kill either the leading or trailing ignition on my ECU. It's done only for testing purposes. Killing the trailing plug make almost no difference in power production. Killing the leading plug causes a significant reduction. I do not have split timing capability.

Issue 5: Exhaust issues
No doubt about it, the rotary exhaust runs hotter at full bore. Notice the exhaust pipes in the video above when they hit peak power. Another thing that sometimes happens with the rotary is that some unburned fuel will ignite in the exhaust which can lead to higher temps. The typical exhaust temps of the rotary can run around 1800F, maybe 100 or 200F higher than a piston engine. I will be putting some extra shielding around my exhaust to keep heat away from the rest of the car. My exhaust system will be build out of thick walled steel tubing. I'm talking 0.120 wall thickness. The aviation guys tend to go more to 321 stainless as they can use thinner material and save some weight. An aircraft engine runs at 75 -100 % power for long periods of time. It only take about 30 HP to run down the highway at 60 MPH no mater what engine you have which also makes it easier on the exhaust.

Issue 6: Apex seal wear
The problem isn't really so much seal wear as it is carbon gunking up the slot the seal sit in. The seal then gets stuck so can't seal. This is mainly due to Mazda's system of injecting crank case oil into the rotor housing to lubricate the seals. The simplest solution for this problem is to junk the entire oil injection system and use 2 stroke premix at 3/4 to 1 ounce per gallon of gas. The premix burns a lot cleaner and does a good job lubricating the seals.

Here is a quote form one long time rotary engine user:
"I have owned six rotary powered cars starting in 1973 two of which have had over
300,000 miles. The engines were still running fine when I sold them.
The rest of the car will turn into a rusted hulk long before the engine
dies. However one must not let the engine over heat
or run out of lubricating oil both for the apex seals and the
bearings. You must also keep the air filter in good shape and not
allow objects to enter the engine intake system." Paul Lamar (see http://www.rotaryeng.net)
Paul know how to take care of a rotary engine.

7. Hard to work on
This is probably the most incorrect of the issues. :) OK, the real problem is the unknown. But just take a look at what's involved The rotary is a sandwich of 5 pieces which are bolted together. Front housing, rotor housing, center housing, rotor housing, end housing. In the sandwich are two rotors and an eccentric shaft. There are a few other pieces, like the oil pump and apex seals and springs, but compared to a 4 stroke piston engine the parts count is way down. The eccentric shaft is bullet proof. Never heard of one breaking or even wearing out. Like anything else, one has to pick up the special tricks that make the job easier. Knowing how to keep the apex seals in the right place while you slip everything together, and how to keep the 'O' rings in place are a couple of the things I've heard about that can cause major grief. (Remember, I didn't build my engine.) There have been several of the aviation guys that have built a junk engine for practice, then built an engine they were going to fly behind. In one case the builder had some issues that resulted in redoing the engine a second and third time. He was having problems with the 'O' ring seals. But he did learn. Resources to help, Bruce Turrentine sells a video on rebuilding the rotary. A good place to start

One other issue:
Sometimes you will see references to apex seal fractures. These happen and they can be costly. The rotor housing will probably be rendered unusable. It is caused by detonation. The thing is, it is almost exclusively a problem for turbo engines. It would be a very rare event in a NA engine.

Certainly the rotary engine won't be everyone's cup of tea (understatement). And all of it is heresy to the "Stock" and "Factory Original" folks. I'm expecting my rotary Alpine to be a fun car that I can travel in. We shall see. So far I've driven it around an empty parking lot once.

I hope to see a lot of you Alpine enthusiasts at one or more Alpine events in the next year. If all goes well I should have the rest of the pieces put together, paint and interior done by spring. I have been off on my estimates before.

Bob W.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob, I want to be up front on this, I have no clue about rotaries. I have read (some place, God know where) there is an issue with the basic shapes of the rotary and the transmission, so that when the transmission is setting with its output shaft in the correct position, the bottom of the engine is way too low.

Anything to that?

Bill

bobw

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

The engine sits pretty low in the car. I haven't measured the clearance. The exhaust system I have right now runs below the frame and I have about 4" clearance there. The bottom of the pan is higher. I don't think I'm going to like the exhaust where it is but I will need to get the frame modified to move it higher as well as move the battery box to the drivers side.

I will measure the clearance to the pan and report back.

Bob W.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I have a friend that has a 13b in a sprite with it's stock 5 speed.

Goes like stink, loud as hell and gets crappy gas milage.

Did I say it will easily do 160mph??

Jim E

Donation Time
Just watched the video of bobws car start up and toward the end it shows the inside of the car and the shifter looked a bit far back towards the rear of the car.

bobw

Donation Time
The shifter is too far back. If I were doing it over, I would move the engine up a couple of inches or so. There may have been a way to shorten the shifter arm, but I didn't want to change it not knowing what I was doing. The position is comfortable for shifting, but I had to cut away part of the support that crosses side to side. Sorry, I don't know what it's called. I am planning on reinforcing it before doing much driving. The shifter position feels very comfortable, however I don't know how much reverse is going to interfere with the passengers comfort.

Still a lot of work on the interior. The white vinyl piece across the tunnel is covering a hole as most of the tunnel still needs to be rebuilt. That's to prevent loosing the keys if they fall out. :)

Bob W.

bobw

Donation Time
Bob, I want to be up front on this, I have no clue about rotaries. I have read (some place, God know where) there is an issue with the basic shapes of the rotary and the transmission, so that when the transmission is setting with its output shaft in the correct position, the bottom of the engine is way too low.

Anything to that?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I checked the clearance of the oil pan to ground. It's 5 inches. The X frame is 7 inches, so indeed the engine is sitting pretty low. Glad to know my oil pan will protect the frame from any big rock in the road. :rolleyes:

Bob W.

Jim E

Donation Time
bobw,
Would you have room enough to shift the motor forward, what sort of distance do you have between the fan and the radiator with your set up?

The shifter location thing bugs me have to wonder if there is a differet version trans that has the shifter farther forward, or if we move the engine forward will it make a difference in the balance of the car, or does the beer keg motor wiegh enough to make a difference with the shift forward?

Another thing I wonder is will a later version of the motor bolt in where a earlier version was? So say you do a early carb motor conversion and sort it then want to go to later turbo?

Jim E

Donation Time
Spent an hour or so on the google seeing what I could find out about the swaps done involving a rotary. The first thing I noticed is there is a whole rotary jargon I need to learn. another thing seems there are transmissions from piston Mazdas that will bolt up, but may not be strong enough. Mostly the sites I viewed there was not a lot of tech info mostly just guys BSing. May need to use a different search words.

bobw

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I think the engine could go a couple of inches farther forward. The only real problem is interference between the steering arms and the spark plugs. I found a place that fit and went with it. My motor mound leaves a lot to be desired. I have seen reference to a couple of other Alpines that had rotary engines. One had an automatic transmission and was sold on Craig's List a while back. I would like to see how they handled their MM, but I think they were done before the internet age. I attached my MM to the front housing. That was done on some of the 12A engines. I think all of the 13B's had MM's attached to the center housing. The center housing comes out right in the middle of the steering arm stuff. I'm sure I could have done something better than what I did.

I got to actually drive the car today. First stop was the muffler shop. It still sounds pretty loud to me although after I finish the tunnel and add sound proofing, it should get better. At some point, I hope to leave the sound outside for the listening pleasure of every one else.

Bob W.