• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Legalities of Body Modifications

v6alpine4dad

Donation Time
Good evening all, I'm in the process of building my SV that I plan to put a V6 in and was wondering if anyone knew the regulations on things like having windshield wipers, backup lights, license plate lights, bumpers. I have shaved the door handles and windshield wipers. I've relocated the license plate to where the rear bumper once was. I only plan on driving in fair weather. The car is registered non-op in California as of right now, but I plan to have it registered in Texas, I hope this doesn't prove to be a problem. I understand the regulations are probably state specific, but any help will be appreciated before I tackle trying to read the big book of rules.

skywords

Donation Time
I think most states have their own little lovely statutes regarding this subject. A search on google to Texas DOT would be a start. Arizona has it's own set of rules and is usually 5 years behind Ca in legislating them. If you are not going to have it inspected at the DMV then it is what ever the cops will look the otherway for. But if it will be inspected in Texas then it boils down to how smart the inspector is. East Coast you would not get by without wipers. Personally I would not want to be without them.

At 100 mph the droplets just sheet right off the windshield.

Do what you can when you can and what you can't when no one is looking kinda thing.

Don't ask don't tell.

v6alpine4dad

Donation Time
I appreciate the response, in order to have it registered in Texas it needs to be inspected, so I guess the logical step would be to talk to the local inspectors to see what I can get away with.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
You can title it in Texas in any condition, but it will have to pass the tests before it can be registered as road worthy. I suspect that this will include all lights, wipers, and a brake test. If you're in a smog-heavy county (like Harris) it will also have to pass emissions tests.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
When I was doing all the body mods to the Series V I'm working on (see link below my signature) I was going to do a licence plate there, I opted for the trunk though due to the crossover tube for the fuel tanks.
How are you getting past this?
Luckily we can put pretty much anything on the road here in Illinois, car is exempt from emissions due to age and we have no safety inspections.
While I did do away with the wipers, I was sure to have all lights working.
I don't mind planning drives in this one around the weather, but "Night-time is the right time"! so lights were a must.
Would love to see more of your work, keep us informed on your project!

S

Steve Kirk

I am not sure about the regulations here in Texas. I would ask a testing facility.

Where in Texas are you? I am located in the Dallas area.

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
I wouldn't worry about the windshield wipers too much if they are not required by your state. I drove mine through about 1800 miles of rain over a 2 day stretch with only Rain-X on the windshield and at about 40 or so it just beads up and rolls off. I was told that, in my state at least, that it is legal to drive without a windshield but it isn't legal to drive without wipers. Go figure. I always assume that if the officer that pulls you over wants to give you a ticket real bad then they will find something to cite you for. It doesn't matter what you're driving in one of those situations I guess.
Good Luck!
Bryan
:)

skywords

Donation Time
I think we have a vehicle code here in Marana. It goes something like this.

1.) minimun number of whiskey dents required 35.

2.) Headlights two operational headlights are forbidden exception/ one has to be on bomber watch and the other on submarine duty.

3.) Side glass optional. Windshield required and must be reinforced with duct tape.

4.) fenders (who cares)

5.) Brakes optional

6.) Exhaust must in place so as to drag and create sparks for visiblity at night.

7.) Emmisions/ must be visible but not attract Fire Department.

8.) Proof of finacial responsibility /required unless you are in progress of complying with rule number 1.

9.) Tread depth or tire wear/ we are not sure what this is but we are reasearching it.

v6alpine4dad

Donation Time
Well, first things first. In order to get past the fuel crossover tube dilema, I was planning on cutting and re-routing the stock setup. As a last case option I would use a combination of stock tubing and new rubber fuel hose. Unfortunately after some research I've discovered that I need windshield wipers to get the state inspection done. Oh well, probably just gonna cut the hole back open and reinstall them, but that is only after trying to find a shop that will certify it without. On another note I do plan on having all lights I was just pondering the idea of moving the front turn signals further back on the fenders, around where some of the newer sports cars are installing their little turnsignals. I've begun my next project which involves ditching the stock decklid mounts for a set off of a Honda Accord. I'm going for a no-chrome look. I've successfully mounted it, after more cutting and welding than anticipated and even got the gas shocks to work too. I tried to attach some pics but the file size is too large, I'll work on that. Anyways, I live in the Houston area, and just wanted to say thanks for all the advice.
Grant

65beam

Donation Time
testing

now i know why i love OHIO.no state inspections of any kind for cars. go to the local bureau of motor vehicles ,tell them you have insurance on the car ,give them your 36.00 .get your sticker for your plate and happy motoring.no emmision testing and no mechanical testing.and yes some of the vehicles i see every day are downright scary.my news paper carrier is my alarm clock every day .i don't think any car he has ever owned has had an exhaust on it.

chris

Donation Time
This is one area where California isn't so bad. We don't have vehicle inspections for anything but emissions / smog control devises. And if the car was built before 1974 we don't even have that.

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Houston has emissions standards too; my friend in Baytown with the 302 Miata conversion couldn't get his past the inspection. My suggestion to him was to turn the title over to his daughter who lives here (Beaumont, no emissions requirements) and get it inspected here. Of course, it all depends on how much one trusts his daughter. . .:)