• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Leaky Heater Core?

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
I've noticed a very small amount of coolant leaking on the passenger side center console/footwall area.
I'm assuming it is coming from a leaky heater core so I've pulled the hood latch cover plate to see what it looks like in there.

I can see some blue on the drivers side of the core (right side of the picture) so that is probably where it is coming from.

I'm a bit confused, because I never use the heat so I didnt think any coolant actually circulated thru the heater core.
Am I going to be able to pull out the heater core without removing the hood release rod?
I dont want to start taking stuff apart till I get new parts to replace it.

53696423868_81eb77c2e8_b.jpg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I wonder if you can find a modern substitute similar to this one. Need to know the dimensions of both. there is a Honda one that looks similar too. The Ebay listing is a Chevy pickup.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
So if you "never use the heat" you can just connect those 2 hoses together to make a loop back to the engine and not have to worry about it. Or, you can buy a used 1 from me or one of these other guys. It's a very straight forward installation.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Love the condition of those hoses. Especially the one on the left in the picture. Those might be original hose clamps.

Hopefully you marked the position of the tray before removal so you can install it back into its original position. Always a concern for me that the hood pin won't release properly after removing and reinstalling the tray.

Mike

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Hopefully you marked the position of the tray before removal so you can install it back into its original position.

It didnt look like there was much adjustability in the tray, and I did not move the lock mechanism..
I did take some "before" reference photos, and everything seemed to go back ok.. The hood lock seems to work the same.
Maybe it was dumb luck.

I'll take everything apart one more time once I work out my plan to fix it.

53695321707_67617e6d23_b.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
You can buy a brand new and upgraded core from the sunbeam suppliers. Has strengthened end plates.

Or as discussed if you never use the heater you can bypass the core.