• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Leaking SII zenith carb

Craigegg

Donation Time
I’m having a hard time trying to stop a leak from the zenith carburetor body. It looks like it’s leaking from the linkage at the lower body of the carburetor but not sure .
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The zeniths have a habit of weeping. Also wearing out the area in the body where the throttle spindles pass through.. Bernd in Germany is a good source for info and parts...

@bernd_st

Craigegg

Donation Time
Thanks

Sounds about right, I had change the O Ring in the needle valve thinking that maybe it, didn’t make any difference.

Craigegg

Donation Time
Hi Bernd, here are some pictures of my carb

Attachments

• EE326CF9-792B-4B32-8210-F9D768130794.jpeg
    EE326CF9-792B-4B32-8210-F9D768130794.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 6C90F760-F9B5-4288-83EB-DFAA3C2BE272.jpeg
    6C90F760-F9B5-4288-83EB-DFAA3C2BE272.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
C,

There's a possibility the leakage is at the thick insulator gasket between the base plate with the throttle shaft and the carb body.
The fuel/air passage(s) for the idle mixture and progression holes travel through the gasket to the base plate. There are two screws that attach the base plate to the body but they are only accessible after the carb is removed from the manifold. This illustration is from WSM 124 and is of the WIP 2 design carb. The WIP 3 carbs are a bit different due to a design change of the idle mixture circuit, but still have fuel passing through that gasket. (small inset at top right)

Just something to check,

1691385775358.png

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for the pictures.
Yes, your interconnection throttle rod is fuel stained. Before attacking the throttle spindles however I would check whether your threaded fuel inlet isn't leaking. As it looks your fuel line holding screw is rather far in. Can have 2 reasons : Either you overtightened to get a good seal while your fuel line sealing brass "olive" is deformed, or your casted fuel inlet section on the Zenith is hairline cracked. Worthwhile to do a thorough inspection at first...

Craigegg

Donation Time
I will take it off and do a inspection, I appreciate the input I will let you know my findings.

Thank you for your help

Craigegg

Donation Time
Hi Bernd, in response to your reply I inspected the fuel line and inlet to the carb I didn’t notice any cracks or splits. I did find it seems to leak only when the throttle opens. What does that sound like?

Thanks

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
It sounds as if the throttle spindles are badly worn. However we need another evidence:

Can you rock the spindle in open / closed position to check for extensive play ?

Craigegg

Donation Time
Hi Bernd
A better set of eyes discovered on the fuel line fittings that are questionable,some small nicks. If I wanted to change the fittings I’m not sure if they are available or replaceable. Cutting the fuel line to install a fitting with a compression ring would make it to short.

Any options.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The fittings mean the threaded brass screw plus the "olive" are available. New fuel linings can be brazed/soldered, but up to your skills...

Last edited: