• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Leaf Spring Centering Pin

SeriesVtime

Donation Time
While rebuilding the rear axle leaf springs on my 67 Series V I noticed that the center pin appeared to be stretched and bent toward its threaded end. The threads, I suspect due to stretching, and diameter were also thinner.

I wanted to ask the group if anyone has an after market replacement idea or alternative to the original pin.

Failing that, does anyone have one or two pins, in good condition, that aren't currently doing their job, and would like to see them put into active service?

Two follow-on and related questions: I purchased some replacement Teflon tabs off ebay a year or more ago. Now that I have the springs apart I can measure the thickness of the originals and compare them to the replacements: the originals are thinner, but squished out and flattened on one side. Should I be concerned about the thickness differences? Will the new tabs just get squished over time? And finally, do I need to apply any type of lubricant/grease on the contacting surfaces in addition to the tabs?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Jeff

65beam

Donation Time
center bolts

the center bolts are 1/4 inch. most spring shops can make them or in the case of one of my cars ,the shop opened up the holes in the springs to take a larger size pin or bolt. you can use a grade 8 bolt but the head needs ground down to fit the hole in the bottom plate so the springs line up as intended. i also bought the tabs on e bay and they work fine. they will squish down just as the originals did over time. the ones being sold on e bay are just like the originals.

SeriesVtime

Donation Time
Thanks for your reply!

Just returned from my local Big-Box hardware store and found 1/4" (you're correct) grade 8, Alan Head bolt that's perhaps 1/4" too long and the rounded head may need to be worked ever so slightly, but for the most part, it looks perfect.

How about the grease or lubricant between the leafs?

And now, a new question: I've noticed a couple of different big-end bushings. One type with the mounting hole in the center, the other is offset. The offset type doesn't look like an effect of ware but made that way. Any one understand why the two types and their pros/cons? I'm currently tempted to leave the existing bush in place - it looks fine, plus I've read they can be pretty nasty to remove.

Thanks all - Jeff

65beam

Donation Time
pin

your bushings are the way they are supposed to be. i use anti seize, the shop that does my body restorations has always used a product called silglide or something like that. i also have one car with the allen head bolts. remember the the bolt sticks down thru the plate so a little extra length should not be a problem.