• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Kick panel speakers

socorob

Donation Time
Has anyone mounted speakers into the hole in the kick panels? What size speakers would it be? What brand did you use?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Robbie,

I have them in my alpine.. i sued pioneer, will get the size for you later.. that said.. they are a great location for hiding them and having them in a spot where there is a hole.. they are not a great place for sound.. apart from sitting in traffic and very slow moving you dont really hear them. they face across not at you and they are buried down in a cavern...

It would almost be better to have them mounted in a console where the stock oe was with decent speakers facing out towards you .. on a Sv you can have them i the verticl panel that the soft top cover sites in.. not so convenient on cars with the folding metal boxes... or make small speaker boxes that sit on the rear parcel shelf.. a few have done that and you are more likely to hear the sound.

all for what its worth

socorob

Donation Time
I will go to a stereo shop and see if they have any that will fit and that have aimable tweeters. I am about halfway thru making a center console and will have small speakers in there also. I was trying to see if anyone else already found something that worked well so I wouldn't have to go searching everywhere for no reason.

agmason54

Donation Time
Robbie,
I visit my local junkyard for BMW or Mercedes speakers. Like MK says they are hard to hear down by your feet while on the fly. I keep mine loose in the car so they can be moved around. When I'm traveling mine end up side by side behind the console otherwise they would be buried. I have tried to put one on either side of me on top of all my stuff and they still are hard to hear although they are only a few feet behind my head. I mount my speakers in little card board boxes and paint them black. When I get unloaded I put one in each corner of the 'back seat' or right on top of the car when stopped. Another simple trick is to mount the radio on the tunnel carpet with velcro. On top of that is my CB radio which on a trip is almost more fun than tunes but nothing is more music to my ears than an Alpine engine heading out of Ohio...
Al

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There have been a couple of discussions on kick panel speakers here before and the general consensus seems to be in line with what Michael said: they don't sound very good. This is a good discussion and includes a link to a good Tigers United article on stereo installation: http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14010

As for aimable tweeters, I also remember a previous discussion on this, but can't find it at the moment. However, someone here said he'd installed aimable speakers (I am pretty sure they weren't just tweeters) in the kick panels with very good results. Perhaps someone else can find that. As for me, I need to get back to work, least I lose my job and funding for my addiction.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I'll throw my2cents in on this. I originally made a console, same placement as "original", for radio and a couple of speakers. Couldn't hear the cheap speakers @ speed, cranked it too loud and blew them. Bought much better speakers w/base limiters, still couldn't hear @ speed. Bought a $20 speaker box, from Pep Boys, great sound at any speed. Used hangers to mount it on the rear shelf. I can easily remove it, if I want or if it gets stolen, it's only $20. I have Miata seats, and may wire into seat speakers, but can't be better than the cheap box.
Ron
(BTW, I have a modern Alpine radio/cd/mp3, kinda cool to see "Alpine" show up on the light panel, when it turns on :)

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
speakers

I always see Jag xj6 cars in the boneyard....the door speakers are excellent...high
quality and just the right size....enclosed for easy mount too...

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hey guys. Just popped by to catch up on what has been going on (yes I am the guy from down under who went over to the Dark Dark Side....MGRV8). I had a stereo system installed in my series 1V GT that had 13 speakers and I still had trouble hearing the tunes at speed with the roof off. The photos I have attached are not really showing the full install but you might get the general idea.

Attachments

• DSCF0829 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0829 (Small).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 64
  • P1319783 (Small).JPG
    P1319783 (Small).JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 57
  • BILD1926 (Small).JPG
    BILD1926 (Small).JPG
    64 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF0831 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0831 (Small).JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 60

alpine_64

Donation Time
Peter,

nice to see you still lurking! You did have quite a system, boot, 2 speakers in the rear GT seat backrest, 1 in each door, each side in the under dash console and 2 tweeters, head rests.. thats 11.. where are the other 2? I guess 13 was your luck number.

If you get a chance i'd love to see pics you took back in 2010 at the fed square day

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
Peter,

nice to see you still lurking! You did have quite a system, boot, 2 speakers in the rear GT seat backrest, 1 in each door, each side in the under dash console and 2 tweeters, head rests.. thats 11.. where are the other 2? I guess 13 was your luck number.

If you get a chance i'd love to see pics you took back in 2010 at the fed square day

Two in the console,two tweeters in the corner of the dash,two in the doors, four in the headrest of the seats,two in the back board (only in GTs) and one sub woofer in the trunk, 13 speakers in total. I only took video of fed square. :eek: