• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just when you thought you were about to make some headway

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had been getting really motivated lately, with getting my T5 taken care of, cleaning shop space for my 2-post lift, and finally getting my tools organized. Then yesterday the storms blew through. Knocked down a willow tree, just grazing my MGB. Well I cut it up and while trying to pull the last bit of root loose, I tore my right bicep down toward the elbow. Felt like the zap you get from a spark plug. Doc says 6-8 weeks until I can start trying to use it again.
Guess it's always something.:(

skywords

Donation Time
Mike I am sorry to hear your laid up. You probably have heard this before but I truly believe theres a reason for everything so take advantage of your recovery time to plan and sort through the details of your project and life for that matter. A speedy recovery.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I can understand the anxiety to want to get back to your old self, but better to listsn to your doctor, or you could be laid up for a longer time than necessary. We sometimes feel a lot better and then want to start doing our usual routine, but give yourself a chance to get good and well, before getting back into the full swing of things. We will be pulling for your rapid recovery.

Jose

Alpine66

Donation Time
Does this mean I can borrow the post lift for awhile?
Sorry about the bicep, hope its better soon. Did they immobilise your arm in a sling or cast?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
You probably have heard this before but I truly believe theres a reason for everything so take advantage of your recovery time to plan and sort through the details of your project and life for that matter.

That's what my mother said. Take the time and work on the little things that need to get done in the shop and plan it out to get it organized the way I want it.

"Did they immobilise your arm in a sling or cast? "

It's just in an Ace wrap and a sling right now. I see an Orthopedist tomorrow. So we'll see how it goes from there. It doesn't really feel that bad today, but If I move it wrong, I find out real quick.

And I was suprised my wife hasn't said, "Anything to get out of getting my car done.";)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well,

I had an MRI on the right bicep and elbow Saturday and met with the doc yesterday afternoon. Shortest doctor visit ever. He walked in said, "Torn, completely torn."
I said, "What's torn?"
He said, "The Tendon, completely separated from the bone."

I looked it up on the web and it looks like surgery to reattach it. May need a donor tendon, as the MRI showed significant retraction of the distal tendon.
Followed by 6 weeks in a cast or brace to limit motion, then 2 - 3 months of physical therapy.

Well there goes the summer. :(

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, I know a guy that ripped a tendon about 5 years ago. Went to 2 or 3 surgeons, could not find one that thought surgery was a good idea. They told him the tendon will not adhere to the bone. They would have to drill into the bone, insert the tendon into the bone and hope the bone knitted sufficiently around the tendon to hold it in place, with future failure very likely.

This guy tell you anything like that?

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Success has a lot to do with the amount of time since the tear. Sutures are criss-crossed through the tendon then the sutures are either passed through holes drilled in the bone or through anchors attached to the bone. But I will find all that out when I see the doctor next week. If nothing is done, it is nomally 30 - 50% twisting stength (like used to tighten a screw) lost.

Also, this injury is most often seen in middle aged men.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Baloney. They could use JB Weld. Glop some of that over the tendon, not coming off.

Mike, I know a guy that ripped a tendon about 5 years ago. Went to 2 or 3 surgeons, could not find one that thought surgery was a good idea. They told him the tendon will not adhere to the bone. They would have to drill into the bone, insert the tendon into the bone and hope the bone knitted sufficiently around the tendon to hold it in place, with future failure very likely.

This guy tell you anything like that?

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Saw the Ortho yesterday. He explained the outcome if the tendon is allowed to retract as it does each time the bicep flexes. Eventually, the bicep will be balled up and stiff and painful when moved. He explained the surgery, he uses a single incision method with 3 steel anchors attached to the area of the bone where it was attached. The tendon get sutured to the anchors and the bone knits around the anchors and sutures. Been successfully using the same procedure for 10 years without complications. I had prepared a list of 20 or so questions and he answered them all. There was a possiblity that a slot for surgery was going to be open today, due to a cancellation. I went to pre-op to get that out of the way and they scared the bejesus out of me. They ran an ECG and it showed abnormal conditions that the Anesthesiologist wasn't happy about and would not accept that for surgery. I had to see my own doctor, which I really don't have. I see someone at a Family Practice Association. Well anyway, the doc there looked me over, had another ECG run and said he and another doctor don't see anything abnormal; or what pro-op saw for that matter. Left me worrying all night that I had a heart problem on top of this. So relieved now. Now I just have to wait for the surgery to be scheduled again. The arm will be in molded splint for 10 weeks (except for therapy) and fully usable again after 6 months.

wipeout

Donation Time
Im glad you're on the road to recovery. Be strong.

let this be a lesson to you....if you're going to throw back a few beers...warm up the arm first.

:D

slippery_biscuit

Donation Time
Dang. This is making me think I ought to make a size adjustment with the length of firewood I cut. 12-16 inches instead of 18-20.

I'm building a playhouse for the grandkids right now... those 4x6's might give me a little pause nowl:)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, here it goes. Surgery scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. :( Let you know how that works out. Guess I'll be typing left-handed for a while. ;)
Thanks for the well wishes. :D

Mike

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, here it goes. Surgery scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. :( Let you know how that works out. Guess I'll be typing left-handed for a while. ;)
Thanks for the well wishes. :D

Mike

Here's to a speedy recovery. Take care.

wipeout

Donation Time
Go in kickin and screamin....and come out the same way...

best of luck and make sure your cast has a holder for a beer can.

;)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
You will have to read this slowly, as I can only type left-handed at the moment. Sorry about taking so long to post an update. The surgery took place as planned. Remember everthing up to, "Now just take few deep breaths." Then the next thing I remembered was being told to just breath deeply as I was waking up. And feeling the pain in my arm as I was coming to. Couldn't give me anything for it until they were sure I was waking up OK. Got to eat and drink something, then basically slept most of the next two days. Yesterday was the first day I didn't suddenly need a nap. Don't know what it looks like yet. The wrap, bandages, and splint come off Friday. Feels like 15 pounds. I will then be in a moulded splint for the next 10 weeks. At least it will be removable. Will make showering a lot easier. It's tough to train the non-dominant hand to do things. I'm right-handed and my right arm had the surgery. The Doc said that once he got in there, it wasn't like what was seen in the MRI. What was thought to be the retracted tendon at the bottom of the bicep was actually a short stub of the torn tendon. He said that he had never seen anything like it. He took lots of pictures. Seems that this has been torn over time and the tendon was pretty well shredded. He had to weave it into another tendon as there was not enough to re-attach. Said I should make a complete recovery. Absolutely no lifting for 12 weeks, only therapy. Then I must be guarded in using it until after 6 months. The evening before the surgery, my wife and I managed to move the '66 and parts car to the barn. I had been working to get it cleaned out and organized. Managed to get rid of a truckload of trash, assemble a press, tranny jack, and lifting table. Moved a '63 Tbird on skates and placed the two Alpines (also on skates) side by side in the bay were the Tbird was (11' 6" wide). Funny, a little re-org, some cleaning, and after adding two cars, I still have more room now than I did. So now I've got 7 cars in the barn and still have room to work. And the wife is happy that they are out of the driveway. Anyway, I haven't needed pain meds for the past 2 - 3 days. I know something's been done, but it's nothing like the 2 days after. Update you when I know more.

Thanks,
Mike